Shall I keep my camera switched on ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Richard H

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi guys,

My camera switches off automatically after a couple of minutes if I don't use it. Do other photographers set their cameras so they permanently stay on or do they allow it to switch off with inactivity.

My thinking is that perhaps the camera uses more battery power switching on and off all of the time than just keeping it on.

Thanks,

Richard

I think it depends on the situation surrounding your dive. If you are doing a shore dive or multiple shore dives and have the opportunity to charge your battery in between then by all means leave it on. If you are on a dive boat and charging is not convenient then turn it off.

If the area where you are diving is full of marine life and you are worried that you might miss something then leave it on, as opposed to where the marine life is sparse or you doing a wreck dive then turn it off.

One way to overcome all of this is just to have a spare (charged) battery in your dive bag.

What kind of camera do you have?

Adam

i shoot video which is kind of the same. I never turn off my camcorder do to then i have to white balance it again and it takes forever to turn on. I would turn off auto shut off so if something good comes up you don't have to fuss with the camera. You can always miss something waiting that way all you have to do is point and shoot. if need to get some better batteries.

How long does it take to come back up?

I know startup time was one of the (many) reasons I switched to a 20D from my previous UW camera.

Hi guys,

Thanks for your replies.

I'm using a canon G9 (with z240 strobe).

I'm not too keen on changing the battery whilst I'm on the boat hence the question. I do intend to change the battery before the afternoon dive. I guess I was wondering whether the battery would last 2 dives.

Thanks

I have my S90 set to stay on, however, I also have the LCD screen set to turn off during inacticity, it wakes up with a rotation of the camera or a button push.

N

Since you have a strobe, the onboard flash can be used at lowest setting to save some battery so I will suppose if you are not the trigger happy type can last about 2X45min dives?

Do note that switching on and off the camera repeatedly also causes additional drain. Another alternative could be to use the display button to switch off the LCD when not in use while keeping the camera ready and lens extended.

I have a G7 with OEM housing and whenever I needed to check the battery, will just run CHDK because it shows the battery capacity in 0-100% which IMO is much better than a battery low warning.

After being in the on position for 8 weeks on the bottom of Lake Lanier my 20D still had enough juice to take a picture after I recovered it. I charge mine when it indicates it needs it. I have never had it run out of battery, maybe an err99 but never for no juice!

Back
Top Bottom