The Fling cancels all(most) June trips to Flower Gardens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am not involved in any way whatsoever with the operation or management of the Fling. I am still on friendly terms with the owners. I can tell you that the folks that hired them tried to hire me also, and it was put like this: "The contract will be for 30 days, but I expect it to go as long as 6 months". I have no idea what conversation took place between the owners of the Fling and the contractor.

When I used to charter to the GOMF, it was a relatively informal affair, based on a handshake or a non-binding agreement.

Boy, that REALLY sounds like FLING's 2010 season is gonna be toast, if they've been offered probably 6 months of guaranteed work/income to work the 'spill'...unless FLING does something wierd, like do 'spill' work in June....work the FG during the peak July-Aug timeframe, then go back once again to working the 'spill' for another couple months.

I can appreciate the financial stresses FLING and other liveaboards face, and the 'bird in hand is worth two in the bush' concept, that being said, I'm scared FLING is going to flip-flop it's business model...instead of mainly being a dedicated dive boat that 'works' occasional 'emergencies' (oil spills/hurricane cleanup) it will become a boat that focuses on assorted govt contracts (oil spills/hurrican cleanup/research) and rarely (if ever) even bothers to run recreational dive trips anymore. Once the remaining FG loyal diver customer base gets discouraged and drops off in despair, FLING will then be praying for regular oil industry disasters and major land-falling hurricances that they can service...they won't be able to resurrect a diver-based business model once it's been destroyed...people will be looking for more reliable dive vacation options.

I understand this is upsetting to many, but in Ken's and Sharon's defense, they have no idea what the rest of the season will look like. The bank doesn't understand when when you can't make payments just because there is no sport diving/divers available to fill the boat. The last 3 years were devestating to the liveaboard diving community. Ask the owners of the Nekton boats or the Gulf Stream Eagle. Heck, ask any liveaboard owner.

If working as a dive charter isn't economically feasible, then so be it. But I don't see how canceling out on divers is going to help that. All of us who regularly visit FG have had trips canceled. When it's weather or even mechanical issues we can understand but when it's the charter option it's like a kick in the teeth.

You've done an excellent job of presenting the boat owner's perspective and have made valid arguments. Surely you understand the customers' perspective? Just because one side has a valid position doesn't preclude the other side from also having a valid position.

What would you do if you were me? How am I supposed to talk up our trip and FG in general knowing it's likely to not happen? Clubs and shops book their trips far ahead and for many divers it's their big dive trip of the year. People don't like uncertainty and unpredictability. You get discouraged after enough times and start to wonder why bother. If they cancel our trip this year for the BP money then I hope that BP also books them in 2011 because I would rather just form trips somewhere else that has a better chance of actually happening.

....when I read some of the posts by the hardcore FG supporters 'club', I really hope FLING isn't about to make a really bad career move here....so many of us seem to be thinking the unthinkable and facing our own personal contingency plans, the reputational damage has already begun !

Frank,
Did you know that they Hawaiian Super Ferries went bankrupt?
Maybe we could pickup the boat cheap? :rofl3:

I was thinking high speed, lots of room... awesome!
329731000.jpg

Hope that you Mel are well.

Regards, Andrew

Gary, those three months must put enough in the coffers to support the boat all year. Considering the cancellation rate for Spring and Fall, and three months off to do maintenance and you just can't schedule trips in November, December, and January, You're right. And actually, peak weather at the FGB is July, August, and September. September is no longer viable because of school starting early, June is not viable because of weather (I always said that nothing could be counted on until July 4th weekend. And it usually blew out), so enough profit must be made in July and August to keep things static year round. The divers just aren't there to support the destination, which is sad, because the Flower Gardens are superb diving.

Dive shops never made enough profit on FGB trips to really push them, and lotsa divers won't go without their dive shop. If it weren't for the research I'm doing, I'd be in big trouble too.

You've done an excellent job of presenting the boat owner's perspective and have made valid arguments. Surely you understand the customers' perspective? Just because one side has a valid position doesn't preclude the other side from also having a valid position.

Of course I understand your position, which is why Mel and I made a different decision regarding this spill. We will be honoring our commitment to our clients whom we told we'd be there. I am starting with a completely new fragile customer base here in Florida that is starting to believe that we'll be around when we say we will. Our current bookings take us well past the Texas dive season. That's worth holding on to, as far as I'm concerned. And, my Flower Gardens trips are filling nicely, thanks.

I don't have a dog in this fight. But I can totally understand that all liveaboards operating in the SE United States - and all tourism-based businesses in that area - have to do what they need to do.

Would we settle for not getting paid at our jobs? Some dive operators may lose their businesses due to this. (I'm not suggesting that the Fling is one of them.) This is bigger than a one week dive vacation.

This is more than divers losing their vacations, it is an environmental and financial catastrophe.

My suggestion is, and has been, if you have your vacation interrupted consider it a small price to pay in comparison to the disaster being battled in the Gulf by the thousands of people whose lives will forever be changed by this. Spend your vacation time and money doing something positive to help.

Buy travel insurance at the time of booking. I hope travel insurance is covering this.

The thoughts of all divers are with you in the Gulf.

I have only been to the FG once on the Spree after 4 tries. Frankly with the cancellations and the current cost(w Nitrox) I am inclined to go to Cozumel. Its not much more expensive and far more reliable. Other people may not feel that way but thats the way I do. At least for me last minute cancellations and reschedlules dont work. I was in Coz last week and several people on the trip had a similar opinion. The FG is great diving but unreliable at least for me. This adds to it.

The Flower Gardens site has a link for info about the oil spill

Flower Garden Banks National Marine Sanctuary Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill Article

And the Austin Spaceman said in part:
http://www.statesman.com/news/texas/bp-cuts-pipe-plans-to-lower-cap-over-724314.html

So far, anywhere between 21 million and 46 million gallons of oil has(sic) spewed into the Gulf, according to government estimates.

Computer models show oil could wind up on the East Coast by early July, and even get carried on currents across the Atlantic Ocean, by Bermuda and toward Europe. The models showed oil entering the Gulf's loop current, the going around the tip of Florida and as far north as Cape Hatteras, N.C. Researchers with the National Center for Atmospheric Research cautioned that the models were not a forecast, and it's unlikely any oil reaching Europe would be harmful.

Last edited:
I will absolutely hate it if the entire summer season is cancelled for the Fling, but it's understandable. I appreciate the owners/management of both the the Fling and the Spree for their dedication to delivering divers to some of the most fascinating dive destinations in the Gulf and helping to make sure we have a good time doing it. Is it frustrating to have a trip cancelled, whether it's due to waves or economic contingencies. Of course, but that's part of the game going in, so it pays to make appropriate alternate plans when possible.
If the July trip doesn't make, I have backup plans for Cozumel in October, and I'll live with it. However, will I give up on the FG? Absolutely not. I'll continue to make plans to get out there when I can, and I just hope there are some boats still servicing the site that can help me do it, and I certainly wish them well. I guess I have to be placed in the "devout fan" category for the place, but that's why I volunteer with the Sanctuary. I certainly hope to continue to be able to promote the FG and its uniqueness.

Last edited:
I commend the Fling owners trying to help with the oil spill. If the Fling is unavailable this summer, but is able to fill the cofers with money to be viable and return next summer for divers, then so be it.

If a Hurricane disrupts Cozumel, will everybody simply stop going because there plan for a summer vacation was cancelled and start going some where else? I doubt it.

Back
Top Bottom