Canon WP-V1 Housing!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The idea I have, is to add the dome port to my wide angle lens (The Inon UWL 100) as you suggest. The wet dome port is very expensive (at least in Denmark) and I was therefore wondering if a "top side dome port" was available. Thereby cutting costs as you guys have shown can be done with the wide angle lens.

I have however also read that there is a slight problem using the wide angle lens and dome port
"Slight vignetting on corners when using Dome Lens Unit. Crop vignetting after taking image."
INON Superwide Lens Dome Lens Unit for UWL-100 [TOP]

I am therefore a bit wary of doing it if it does not work out right UW as you suggest. I will give wetpixels a goo - thanks for the tip

Never heard of a topside dome port. Dome port is for UW use as it creates an air space in between the lens and the dome. That air space is what gets you the additional 25% coverage because the lens no longer is affected by water refraction.

H2ODoctor has a topside wide angle lens he is trying to use UW. I don't think he has posted UW footage of it yet. Only UW macro so far, which works differently than a wide angle. Looks like his macro lens is a single element piece of glass. Wide angle looks like 2 or 3 elements and the potential problem is water leaking in between the elements.

Last edited:
Thanks for info about the dome port. I suppose the fisheye lens would be the closet comparison topside.
I am aware of the differences between macro and wide angle. Chose the wide angle myself as this can do a bit of macro (problems when getting too close). May sometime in the future invest in the macro too.

Hello, can someone please tell me where I can find the underwater settings on my Canon HF20. Can't find it anywhere. Thanks

you have to do it yourself first time

"Can someone translate this into accurate English for me?

1. Removed SD card - check.
2. Set to "video" mode - well, there's "movie" mode, that must be it.
3. Turn on camera - check.
4. make sure you are in menu/settings mode - Hunh? There are menus and modes all over the place - which one? What do you press to get there? I'm lost...
5. move joystick to the right so you are under the "photo" icon - I see no "photo icon" - the camera is in video mode. WTF?!
6. press photo snap, photo, and the start/stop button on the back of the camera body (not on the screen) all at once. - Good god, WTF are they talking about? There's no "photo snap" button on my HF200. There's a "photo" button on the top of the body (used to take a still); there's a "video snap" on the left side of the camera body opposite the screen. The only "start/stop" button I see (triangle/two-vertical lines, eg Play/Pause) are on the flip-out screen, not the body. I have no idea what they are saying here. Which buttons where?!
7. A new screen will pop-up - haven't see that yet
8. click yes and then "set" - can't get that far
9. the camera will turn off - OK, sure
10. reset the date and time - really? you have to reset the date/time? Really? That seems bizarre.
11. you only need do this once - well thank heaven for that."

This thread worked for me

"Read the thread and you will learn a few things about what you are asking (especially post #24 http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/4610547-post24.html ) "
originally posted by conchchowder

Has anyone tried the Fantasea Line BigEye Accessory Dome M67 versus Ikelite WP-20 67mm W/A Lens (or one of the equivilent wet WAL)?

622997.jpg

I would think the dome port might be advantageous in weight and perspective FOV over the typical wet WAL (like the Ikelite WP-20 67mm W/A Lens @ 400g or ~ .89 lbs underwater).....

anyone try this?

The dome port might be the ideal solution if the camera went to the equivalent of about 24mm at full wide. As it is only 39.5mm equivalent, you probably won't be satisfied with the field of view with the port alone.

On my latest dive trip, I was a bit careless in packing and forgot my wal! I shot plenty of video, but very few clips were up to snuff. Small camera movements looked like huge disturbances and spoiled many shots. It was tough to get enough steady-ish footage to put a video together. I won't make that mistake again! A uw tripod would be nice too. Next time.... Pasport-check. WAL-check. Ok, I'm ready!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwSQ4O-ZUqQ

Last edited:
well i used the new lens last night on a dive and it worked great ... the only thing i had to do was Burb the air bubble between the macro lens and the wide angle... I did this by unscrewing them ... so this lens works great with no issues.. I will have the video up in a bit ..

i dont know the embed code for this site so the video is above

Hi H20Doctor :)

I'm looking for a lens to go on my ikelite 6091 and HF200 - I cant bring myself to spend £200+ on the ikelite w-20 but splashing £30 on a topside lens and drilling some holes in it sounds quite fun.

Would you be able to give us all some details as to how and where you drilled the hole?

Thanks in advance :)

Back
Top Bottom