Video editing recomendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NeptunusRex

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello! I just recently got into video with a GoPro HD camera. I was hoping some of you more experienced people had some advice. What would you recomend for an editing tool? Cheaper is better (free is awesome). I've heard of people losing definition during editing process as well. I'm not looking to make an Imax film just something I can show friends and family. Thanks guys!

On a PC, Pinnacle Studio, Adobe Premiere Elements or Sony Vegas Movie Studio are all options. Each has a different interface and a free trial so download them and find the one you like. $50-100 depending on the version you buy. Often cheaper on Amazon.com.

Personally I use Vegas MSP - IMO it has more features than the other two but also more complexity.

Your GoPro records in h.264 (.mp4) format and they all can import it.

Since h.264 is a Quicktime-based format iMovie should handle it on a Mac - afaik it's included. Final Cut Express is also an upgrade option - no idea what it costs.

If people are losing definition during editing they're not doing it right...lol.

Reactions: Jax
We use Final Cut Pro on a mac (its not free though). It all depends on what kind of features you want in the software package and what kind of output you want to generate.

Steve's suggestion above is pretty solid - Sony Vegas is pretty good.

I just use iMovie on my Mac, as all I am doing is cutting and pasting clips, with some titles and music thrown in there. But just about any competent editing program will do just fine. For HD, I'd argue that your computer be up to the challenge, otherwise editing will be a serious chore.

Peace,
Greg

@ DiverSteve
I ended up downloading the vegas pro 10. Thanks for the tip. Took a minute to figure it out but works great. Thanks again for the info.

I ended up with Vegas 10 on 64 bit pc. Added Cineform neoHD for better codec to edit with, and for Lightroom-like ability to handle videos shot at 280 feet down with ambient light only....perfect for canon 5d mark II, but to use cineform with Contour 1080p video camera ( for high current very demanding shots a big camera can't get used in) I had to add Elecard Converter Studio ( as Cineform does not yet read the file format of Contour).

Interestingly, I played with the contour at the BHB several days ago, on a day with not so hot vis, but several manatees....I was freediving with one for nearly 15 minutes, so I got lots of useable clips. After importing the movs into Elecard and having this program create a container that Cineform likes, Cineform was able to drastically improve the quality of the Contour--something about the manner in which it uncompresses and resamples or something--maybe someone on here could explain more about the why of this.....Cineform then exports with very cool light effects ( far better than Vegas), and ends up in a "smooth" 1080p cineform file that Vegas runs beautifully on the timeline. Ie, not choppy! I am still playing with this--learning how to best use the system, but I am excited about what this will allow me to do!!

I believe the benefit theory to Cineform is the converted files are uncompressed, which makes them easier to edit with less powerful computers. Another benefit is the uncompressed files are converted to a much larger color space which allows better color, lighting and contrast changes.

Someone like Perone can explain it better and more accurately, but I'll give it a shot.

Take the color yellow. Let's say the different shades of yellow go from 1-5. Editing compressed footage allows you to change the shades in increments of 1: 1 2 3 4 5. Uncompress the footage, the shades are still 1-5, but the uncompressed footage allows shade increments of .5: 1 1.5 2 2.5 3 3.5 etc..

Not sure how accurate this is, but it's how it was explained to me. Kinda makes sense since the uncompressed files are much larger.

Back
Top Bottom