Dive report: 25-35' vis measured at Front Beach, Rockport, MA, Sat. 11/20/2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dave4868

Old diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Apparently, the last few days of strong land breezes from the west have greatly cleared the vis at Front Beach, in Rockport, MA! In a couple of different spots, at depths of 30' and 35', I laid out my marked line and measured vis of 25' and 35', horizontally. After two weeks of northeastern storms and last week's reports of 2' vis, this was a very pleasant surprise. :D

Brief dive report: Front Beach, Rockport, MA, Sat. 11/20/2010.

It was really chilly gearing up on this overcast morning with 40-degree actual air temp and west winds of 10 to 20 knots creating a substantial wind chill factor. My snowmobile suit, balaclava and gloves did the trick until it was time to strip down for the swap into drysuit undergarments.... Needless to say, there was no dawdling!

Three other divers showed up a short time later, apparently to complete OW certification dives.... in wetsuits! :shocked2: They didn't dawdle either....

Since winds were predicted to increase to 25 to 35 knots and air temps only to reach 50 degrees, I figured the surface interval could be real torture, at least for an old wuss.... Therefore, I planned to do one very long dive instead of my usual two medium long dives.... I also decided to wear my winter setup even though the water temps have recently been around 50 degrees and I normally don't switch to winter gear until temps are in the low 40's. Once I got into the water, I was very glad I switched, as the water temp was only 47 degrees and I've found I get cold more easily since trimming down to what the "experts" think is a healthy body weight.... No doubt, they don't dive in cold water! :wink:

To make a long story short, in my single 125-minute dive, vis was generally 25 to 35' (measured), seas were calm, water temp was 47 to 48 degrees F., and my max depth was 43' (off Bearskin Neck).

I saw three sea ravens in rather drab colors, some winter skates, one pollock and several moon snails, including one that had an unusual hump over the rear portion of its foot, something I don't think I've seen before.

The high points of the dive day: excellent vis and being comfortably warm for the whole dive! Oh, and immediately after the dive, walking across the street, while still in my drysuit, to Nate's Restaurant, for a piping-hot take-out order of a great-tasting clam chowder! :D

Pics follow.

Dave C

Odd shaped hump on this moon snail. Is this an egg sack?
PB201419_CCR_Flt_R1000.jpg

A sea raven with some spots in its corneas. Don't know if that's an illness or just a variation. Many of the sea ravens seem to have this appearance. The waves on the surface could be seen 35' above.
PB201382_CCR_Flt_R1000.jpg

This might be the best part of the dive.... :D
DSC03687_ACt_R1000.jpg

Last edited:
Nice report and pictures:thumb:

That is a nice report with a warm touch at the end.

We had a Star Party last night that ended with hot chocolate, seems a nice warm drink or meal really puts a great final touch on a cold fun activity.

Great pics Dave....Looks like great vis too. Surprised you didn't see flounder? No bugs either? :idk:

Thanks, all! :)

Actually, at this time of year, if I'd seen any flounder at all that would have been a real surprise!

I did see a couple of short lobsters, but they'll soon be heading out, too, I think.

There wasn't much to see, in general. Just touring at 35', along the base of the north side of Bearskin Neck, I found the big glacial erratic boulder that usually shelters some frilled anemones. Unfortunately, there were none to be seen that day. The rock measures roughly 18' x 7' x 6' and a few anemones usually maintain a grip the western side of the rock. Our recent storms may have dislodged them.

Are you still seeing some flounder and lobsters around Cape Cod?

Dave C

Yeah very good lobstering on the jettys at the east end of the Cape Cod Canal. Most commercial and rec guys have pulled their gear and warm temps flowing from Buzzards Bay keep them around. Hope to go out thanksgiving or day after, windy lately. Hope I get the vis you had Dave :cool2:

Great shots Dave!

Love the shot looking up at the sea raven!

Nice pics!!
Going out Sunday with Cape Ann. We are going to do some scalloping and try out a new camera. I don't think the season is quite over yet!

Bob

Nice pics!!
Going out Sunday with Cape Ann. We are going to do some scalloping and try out a new camera. I don't think the season is quite over yet! Bob

I would LOVE to see a dive report from that trip! You don't even have to share the location of the scallop beds! :D

Looks like marine conditions will be favorable Sunday. Good luck! :)

Dave C

Mmmmmmh Clam Showder ! That made me almost forget about the dive report :wink:

Looks like a long and quiet dive, one I would definitely have enjoyed !

Three other divers showed up a short time later, apparently to complete OW certification dives.... in wetsuits! :shocked2: They didn't dawdle either....

That's courageous !!! I'm actually waiting to get back my drysuit before I go back in he water... Water temps here in Belgium have now fallen into the low 40s... I still did 45min on my last dive in my semi-drysuit (which has holes and many leaks around the zipper) with 38F at 130ft ! At least it was a bit warmer on the lower surface (probably around 45F)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom