Alpena Sink Holes???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BoneCrusher

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Does anyone know of any charters or groups that dive the sinkholes up around Alpena? With all the shipwrecks around, I really haven't heard of anyone actively diving them. I think its a very unique location and would love to find a group that is diving them.

Also, would love to see if anyone has pictures or videos of diving this area.

Thanks!

DangerWillRobinsonDanger!!

ok now that thats outta the way...

I realize sinkholes are more cavern than cave, but have you knocked out any cave courses yet Mike? I know you did your solo and have got some tech done, but I hadnt heard you'd started cavin' yet...

There are a few of us who dive them regularly, they are pretty much just sinkholes. No caves or caverns have been associated with them... yet. We have one accessible by boat just off Middle Island in the 70' range, that is a really cool dive, the rest are land locked on State land which has rules about motorized vehicles so it is difficult to access those.

DangerWillRobinsonDanger!!

ok now that thats outta the way...

I realize sinkholes are more cavern than cave, but have you knocked out any cave courses yet Mike? I know you did your solo and have got some tech done, but I hadnt heard you'd started cavin' yet...

Well, from what I have heard, they are nothing like caves or caverns. More like just holes. But, I have heard they are cool to see. Something about some weird red or purple algae stuff. Thought it would be a different kind of dive for the area instead of shipwrecks.

Plus, whats up this this group? There has been so few posts on the GLWC area, I figured I had to try and get a conversation going!

There are a few of us who dive them regularly, they are pretty much just sinkholes. No caves or caverns have been associated with them... yet. We have one accessible by boat just off Middle Island in the 70' range, that is a really cool dive, the rest are land locked on State land which has rules about motorized vehicles so it is difficult to access those.

First, thanks for the info!

Any pictures or video from your dives?

Are you visiting the sinkhole off middle island from personal boats or from a charter? Is the location marked or do you just find it off of sonar and drop an anchor?

I am just intrigued by these and think it would be a fun dive to go do at least once. I love wreck diving, but seeing something different that not many people see would also be cool.

We dive the Middle Island sinkhole with private boats, and the charter boats will also stop there. Here is a youtube video of the sinkhole:
YouTube - Middle Island Sinkhole - Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary - August 15-16, 2006
Some NOAA pictures of the sinkhole also. Fieldwork 2007

The sinkhole is worth diving just because of the Purple algae mats growing in the Oxygen depleted ground water flowing from the bottom of the sinkhole. NOAA also buoys the sinkhole, however we drop anchor next to it (15 - 20 ' deep) then drop over the edge of the sinkhole.

Greetings alpenadiver do you have the GPS coordinates for the land locked holes?
I have been looking for them for a while now.
Hey Mike I am in if we can get the GPS coords I say lets take a walk!
How far can you walk those doubles?
You may be SM sooner than you thought! He! He! Just kiddin....

Lets go caving my friend it will take a few days but well worth it!
I am taking Full cave in Jan. 2012 if not sooner but there is always room for a few more divers on a cave trip!
The M&G we will have to talk about it over a few beverages possibly we can get Denny into it! The beverages anyway! Man I am feeling frisky tonight!
Sorry Denny for the cheep shot first round is on me, Budweiser right?

Mike are you going to the ship wreck festival in Ann Arbor?

Safe diving everyone.
CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

CamG, here are some numbers for you. Google Earth will give you a nice idea of the location, also Computer Joe has some nice pic's on his website.
Sink Holes just click on a sinkhole for a picture

Rockport Sinkholes - 45° 12.772'N 83° 25.511'W
Misery Bay Sinkhole - 45° 5.181'N 83° 19.025'W
Middle Island Sinkhole - 45° 11.898'N 83° 19.665'W

I have been looking for them for a while now.
Hey Mike I am in if we can get the GPS coords I say lets take a walk!
How far can you walk those doubles?
You may be SM sooner than you thought! He! He! Just kiddin....

From what I heard about how far back in the landlocked holes are, Im thinking Rebreather! Ha ha ha.

Lets go caving my friend it will take a few days but well worth it!
I am taking Full cave in Jan. 2012 if not sooner but there is always room for a few more divers on a cave trip!
The M&G we will have to talk about it over a few beverages possibly we can get Denny into it! The beverages anyway! Man I am feeling frisky tonight!
Sorry Denny for the cheep shot first round is on me, Budweiser right?
I like the way you think! :) Im holding you to the discussion and the beverages!

Mike are you going to the ship wreck festival in Ann Arbor?

Yup! I'll be there. I'll be working Bruno's booth for part of it. I will also be sure to check out Dave Trotters presentation. I saw part of it at OWU. I'm hoping this presentation is a little more detailed.

That sounds really awesome Mike looking forward to hanging out.
Looks like Ryan Smith, Clyde P., and possibly Joe Muncy will be attending.
I am excited to get the wreck season going and on to the Lake!
See you soon,

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom