Hi, it's your instructor calling....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to DM for a guy who had a shop policy ... every OW certification included four coupons for free rental equipment. The idea was to make it easier for the newly-certified students to get started diving locally. I thought it was a great policy.

Unfortunately, that fellow went out of business ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

This isn't about selling, it's about diving. Would your response be the same if, as a new diver, if you were contacted about an upcoming dive and were invited to join?

It's still unsolicited selling whichever way you look at it. Under that business model the instructor and/or the shop he works for is after more money. I find it completely tasteless and if it happened to be i'd be extremely irritated.

I loathe any unsolicited sales pitches.

If i want to go on upcoming dives i'll call them and ask.

I count myself lucky to have had the opportunity to dive outside of class with every instructor I've ever had. Still keep in touch with my OW instructor. My GUE Fundamentals instructor has been my regular local technical dive buddy, and I dive and get together with my technical dive instructor whenever he's in town. I always appreciated that they continued to mentor me after the class was over, and more importantly I appreciate their continued friendship.

What about the instructor who says, let me know if you want to dive then blows you off when you do?

It happens and I suspect just as frequently as the newb who never calls the instructor.

I dive with my instructor as much as possible. well my aow/rescue instructor. Never heard from my ow instructor after taking ow class. but my instructor now invites me on dives just about every other week and on dive trips to further away places when he goes, he has become a good dive buddy and friend. I think instructors that take this approach take their students a long way in education and keep them diving.

Okay, I'll play -

I've read a number of posts from a number of instructors around this forum that I wish were in my area (but that isn't the case). I'd dive with folks like you in a heartbeat. I had a DM buddy that I dove with for a number of years - as a buddy, not a DM/instructor. Man did we have fun!

He isn't around anymore, and this is what I percieve of what I have:

One LDS wants nothing to do with me because I didn't train through them (I moved to here after certification) oh, and I won't spend a fortune there on all new gear of the lines they rep.

One LDS is basically just selling trips, trips, trips (all on my wallet - read as really $$$$ - think that has been said before) so they can go for free, or classes, classes, classes (read: cards, cards, cards) = spend money, spend money, spend money. Not dive (learn), dive (enjoy), dive. Their business plan is that they loose money on air fills, but more than make it up on new gear 7 classes/cards.

One LDS is all about selling big ticket overpriced gear, (oh, and the personalities are just "stoic" - some of the competition claim that shop is their best advertising).

A number of shops are gone - too short of a season here, too much market saturation, economy, insurance, etc.

At the LDSs around here, its nothing about diving for enjoyment........ the business side of things has ruined that. The industry has ruined that, as well as the insurance industry. My old buddy was a DM that made it a point for us to dive Sundays so he could get away from the shop he was at and we could have fun.....

Around here, my wife and I, as well as other past diving friends continually wonder if there is some long term negative health/personality result of running a dive shop.... seems even the best intentioned end up psycho...

The DMs & instructors are unreachable behind the cloak of the DS owner.....

I HATE ALL OF MY LDSs.......

Dave: I have some of the same response as you when I try to invite new divers.

Earlier this year I sent out 70 invites to newer divers to dive at Point Lobos with me. I had 5 extra spots (Point Lobos limits the number of dive teams to 15 a day). One newbie accepted. I eventually invited friends to fill the spots. Poor guy, one new diver, one instructor, four divemasters--he was pretty well taken care of. Fabulous dive day.

Unsolicited business? What business? I teach out of a military base. If you aren't armed forces, you can't buy there. I can teach you if you are either sponsored or DOD contractor or DOD employee, but the shop won't sell you gear. All I want to do is dive in one of the prettiest places in the world...& I have trouble getting newer divers to go with me.

Maybe I should just quit worrying about it & dive with the cadre I have. It gets old getting blown off.

I read the initial post and skipped the million in the middle. But Dave, you aren't my instructor. For starters, my instructors name was Howie. He certified me back in 1978 and is probably pushing up daiseys by now. I have advanced to AOW with an ice diving cert since then. I have been the president of one dive club and founded another keeping the spirits of diving alive and well. I am on the local dive rescue squad. I am a serious amature underwater video producer. I service and rebuild my own gear. I am even a member of NAVED. National Association Vintage Equipment Diver. I have well over a thousand dives since Howie certified me. Can't say much for Dave, but Howie gave me one heck of a start.

i have stayed in contact with my trainer and have become friends with him but as for diving more with him i havent due to he is almost never open to get air(yes only fill station in 35 mile radius) and he always wants to go to Myrtl beach and i just cant afford to go there

OW instructor is dead. AOW instructor has a day job. It's six hours to the Gulf. :idk: Why don't we dive more?

Back
Top Bottom