salvus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rzep

Contributor
Reaction score
Just recently I add some old military rebreathers to my collection.

One almost complete Siebe Gorman's Salvus (hoses are not good anymore).

Another salvus minus counterlung, harness and hoses.

SV600018.jpg

And parts for Siebe Gorman Amphibian Mark IV and II.

SV600022.jpg

SV600021.jpg

I want restore those units as close as possible to the original. If anybody have any parts for those units please let me know.

The one Salvus is the easiest one to complete - require only breathing hoses, but I like the replacement hoses to be covered with the canvas on the outside. Any suggestions?

rgrds

Tomek

Nice, vintage bits of mining equipment. Circa 1930's, or 40's for these particular models?

Noting how old these RB's are - museums/diving artifact museums might be a great place for them? The only person who might have bits and pieces would be Dave Sutton?

Cheers,

X

Nice, vintage bits of mining equipment.
Not entirely true. Amphibians are strictly underwater units and Salvus was design by sir Robert Davis as a universal tool: for firefighting, mine rescue and diving. Replacing face gas mask with a diving hose (one with a mouthpiece left side of the first picture) plus a few plugs including the one for a pressure gouge, turns the topside unit into a diving one.
Circa 1930's, or 40's for these particular models?
On one of the parts I found date 1926 the other have the stamp that shows 1940 or1948 (the last digit unclear).

Noting how old these RB's are - museums/diving artifact museums might be a great place for them?
Maybe someday! There is still a lot of life left in those toys - I've already restored a few of them. It's tons of fun to dive these units.
The only person who might have bits and pieces would be Dave Sutton?
Yup, you are right, Dave might have some parts left on his operating table:)
I also knew about a few old military rebreather enthusiasts on the other side of the pond - thus the post.
Thx for the mr Sutton lead.
rgrds
Tomek

Hi Tomek,

Best with these RB's. Very cool. When you get them operational - please post pics here, or RB World which I rarely frequent. A diving shot with you using them - even cooler.

As per Dave - he's got so much stuff all over + his airplane/diving bits. He's a builder best friend. A heck of nice guy.

Cheers,

X

Hi Tomek,

Best with these RB's. Very cool. When you get them operational - please post pics here, or RB World which I rarely frequent. A diving shot with you using them - even cooler.
Will do!

As per Dave - he's got so much stuff all over + his airplane/diving bits. He's a builder best friend. A heck of nice guy.
Amen to that!
rgrds
T

thanks for posting the pics. I'd love to see photos as the restoration progresses. I'd like to add another plug for Dave, generally he's very welcoming. Diver Daves Rebreather Site

good luck!
George

A little update on the Salvus restoration.
First step was to find replacement hoses. Unfortunately, original ones were falling apart the right moment I try to touch them, but that was, kind of, expected.

SV600031.jpg

The short hose, connecting counterlung and scrubber, I found in my spare parts box for the italian OMG rebreather. It has the same diameter(1") and it is a bit longer then original(about 2") but that should not make any difference.

SV600048.jpg

The longer hose, between DSV and scrubber, I've found on ebay - perfect match in terms of length and diameter.

SV600051.jpg

Originally, hoses were hold on the connectors by means of a tie wire. As close as, I am trying to stay to authentic form of that RB I've opted for a SS cable clamps as a replacement - once they are safer, which is important when i gonna try to use the unit and twice: they gonna by covered by the black tape any way.

SV600035.jpg

SV600034.jpg

Unfortunately, the new hoses are plain rubber(not canvas covered), but until I come across some appropriate replacements they have to do it.:rolleyes:
That it for now.
rgrds
Tomek

Thanks for posting these piccies Tomek. I also saw the DecoStop pic of you and your pal on LAR V. Cool stuff. I think you'll need to create your own website (competition for Dave) about rehabbing some of these old breathers. :wink:

Cheers,

X

I think you'll need to create your own website (competition for Dave) about rehabbing some of these old breathers. :wink:
well, I am waaay behind Dave, both in knowledge as well as numbers of RBs in my collection. Website?? Maybe some day.

Back to the main subject....
Next step was easy - to connect the whole system and try if it works. Due to the unknown state of the tanks, I decided to fill them with some air for the test run.
After connecting all the parts together, I gently open the tank valve. Second later I hear nice 'hssss' and watch the counterlung being fill by a steady flow(Salvus was design to deliver about 2l of oxygen per minute). So the unit is working. In the process, I discover a little pin hole in the CL, which won't be a problem to patch.
Two of the fiber washers, one in the scrubber and one between manifold and pipe 3-way look little used, thou the haven't leaked out I am going to replace them before attempting to dive.

Picture of the 3-way pipe connecting gas manifold, scrubber and long hose.

SV600046.jpg

I've also managed to clean the ceased DSV - working like new now.
Unfortunately in the process I broke off the cutter pin - new one on order. :rolleyes:

SV600037-1.jpg

disassembled DSV

S.jpg

and assembled DSV

SV600043.jpg

rgrds
Tomek

A little update on the restoration.
An easy part was oxycleaning tanks and valves sanding them and repainting.
I decided to go with traditional but sexy:wink: black and white.

I.jpg

In process I have also refurbished the chasis. It took a little TLC and some car body techniques and few coats of paint.

SV600024.jpg

G.jpg

Then the next step was the srubbers: a day long bath in vinegar helped lose all the sodalime deposits, a week long bath in CLR took care about bring metal to a shiny almost new look. Couple coats of sexy black and scrubbers look like new.

V.jpg

In a process of 'dry trying' the unit, I have discovered that one of the previous owners must have customized this Salvus to his size. I am not a giant(6'1" or 186cm) but that person has to be hmmmm.....tiny.
The cross chest harness should placed the chassis close to my left hip. Instead it was dangling just slightly under my arm pit. After some search I've found almost identical match in......craft and sewing supply store.:eek:

gf.jpg

One problem solved. Another one, size related, was the length of the rubber crotch strap holding the counterlung. Well I try to put it on. Kinky! I couldn't even stand straight, now chance. For a extension piece, I have used the old fire hose. First I got rid of the outer layer of canvas then cut the appropriate piece of rubber, folded and glued onto existing rubber. Very close match in colour and texture.

kli.jpg

Thanks to Jan Willem Bech from The Rebreather Site, I got the Salvus manual. The text confirmed, that before placing the unit underwater one has to replace the pressure gauge with blank plug. That came as now surprise for me - upon first examination of the gauges, I knew they were not design to work underwater.

SV600044.jpg

Since I didn't have the original plug, my first approach was to blank the hp hose using one of the regulator plugs.

SV600045.jpg

That was just temporary fix. A few days after I discover the right plug in the manifold of incomplete Amphibian Mark IV. Bing! Now I just have to make a few copys in a local machine shop.

hgd.jpg

The manual also mentioned replacing dewatering valve in the scrubber by the blank plug. The brass plug is ion order, for noe the screw cap of the pen light works great.

tyr.jpg

I have also adjust one of the regulators, from original flow of about 2l/min to a more close matching metabolism 1 l/min.
That's about it, for now. More to follow.
rgrds
Tomek

Back
Top Bottom