Lionfish tool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iztok

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I never spear fished or any other hunting under water. I currently have no intention to do so. However I do see a lionfish or two on some of my dives of coast of NC and would like to carry something handy to kill on the spot.

So I am looking for a tool that can be easily stowed and non-intrusive to carry on every dive while I do my regular diving and only deployed when lion fish is encountered.

Suggestions?

Hello, regarding your comment about lion fish hunting, here in cozumel we use a tool called ELF TOOL (eradicate lion fish) its pricey, but what tool in diving is not right?, check out their website www.reefprotectioninc.com I personally have over 300 kills with it and the owner of the company dives here in cozumel a lot.

Also it´s important to mention that it wont harm the reef and they have sold a bunch in aruba and bonaire straight to the government and here in cozumel the mayor is buying 100 pcs. to give out to dive masters.

Also now padi is offering a certification on lion fish hunting.

best regards

memo

Ditto on the LionTamer. On Monday in Jupiter, I found a patch of dozens of big lionfish. Pulled the Liontamer out and in just 30 minutes I killed and lopp 20 flionfish easily. There are no bands to load, it's just pull back and release. If you have to waste time reloading bands, the fish will be gone.

Once on the speartip, I just use a pair of EMT shears and snip their heads or cut their jaw and release. It's fast and cheap at $35.

I see some good recommendations on here for spending money... I for one try to keep as much in pocket as possible. So I would have to say, if you are handy with tools then just go to the local scrap yard and buy a 1/4" / 3ft piece of stainless round stock. Sharpen the end with a bench grinder, Drill hole on opposite end and attach lanyard... Another good way is to use 1/2" Aluminum round stock with a tapered edge like a syringe. I make these all the time, I just keep my eyes open for Free or Cheap scrap material. Never have spent more then 5.00, still have the first one I made in working condition, 10yrs old... You dont need anything fancy to kill these fish, no bands- just a pointy end.

Back
Top Bottom