Recreational Rescue Class in Doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jaydubya

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
A few years ago I had to drop out of a recreational rescue diver class due to a a sudden scheduling conflict. I've decided finally to go back and finish this class.

I am wondering whether there are any issues with taking this class in a North Florida cave rig (BP/W, doubles, and long hose). I've already decided to compromise some by leaving my drysuit at home. Should I just bite the bullet and do this in a single tank rec setup even though I haven't dove that way since '07?

Now, where did I put that snorkel?

A few years ago I had to drop out of a recreational rescue diver class due to a a sudden scheduling conflict. I've decided finally to go back and finish this class.

I am wondering whether there are any issues with taking this class in a North Florida cave rig (BP/W, doubles, and long hose). I've already decided to compromise some by leaving my drysuit at home. Should I just bite the bullet and do this in a single tank rec setup even though I haven't dove that way since '07?

Now, where did I put that snorkel?

I would do it in a single tank. That would make it so much easier :) This is what I did and was happy I did it.

Why make it more complicated than it has to be. Read the book and select the best tools for the class.

I've had rescue students in doubles before ... in fact, I probably will again in next month's class.

I always have a "victim" in doubles ... because bringing someone up from the bottom in doubles is different than in singles ... you have to get "over" them rather than behind them, and with all the doubles divers we have around here, I want my students exposed to how it works.

As a final exercise, I always have the students cut one of my "victims" out of their harness (I have a supply of used harnesses for this purposes) ... just so they get a feel for how it's done ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

A couple of things to consider about taking the class in doubles. First, can the instructor handle having a student in doubles. If not, take the class with a single tank or find another instructor. The other thing to consider is the benefits you and the other students will receive by you diving in doubles. You may be the first and only real experience the others in the class have with someone in doubles and this will add an extra element of realism to the class scenarios.

If it was me, I'd find an instructor that will be able to handle students in doubles in their rescue class. However, depending on your circumstances you may need to use a single. I would still use my BP/W and long hose irregardless of the instructor.

I took my rescue in doubles. It realy didn't make it much more difficult for me, but it was a bit tougher on my buddy. My theory is "Train the way you're gonna dive." And I say wear the drysuit. You can make this really easy, or you can learn something.

Leave the doubles. Take the Dry Suit. Eat the cannoli.

Unless you have a particular reason for making a simple course more difficult for your classmates and instructor I would suggest matching their gear.

If you are taking it with your common buddies than yes, do it in the gear you often dive with together.

But check with your instructor first.

Most Rescue classes are for (and taught by) basic single tank divers. No reason to add complexity.

But you probably already knew that.

the only thing i would be careful of is where you plan on taking the class. on a boat doubles probably wouldn't be a problem, but on a shore dive taking off all yours and their gear for a rescue could and sometimes does result in lost gear.In fact i was with an instructor when he lost his datamask (found it luckily), but we warned of that. Also the drysuit could e a problem if someone is rescuing you as they may not be careful of the valves dry gloves etc. and damage your stuff.

Mmmmm. Cannoli.

I'd welcome you in doubles and like Bob, always have someone in them. Usually me. I also do not see it as a simple course. It can be if the instructor has no imagination. I like the harness cutting idea and will think seriously about putting it in my next one. I usually have students in different gear and I try to recruit volunteer victims in as many different configurations as possible. One thing I do is have EVERYONE set their gear up and go for a walk. Then I make small "adjustments" to everyone's set ups. They then are charged with looking over all the gear and finding the "adjustments" and asking the owner about them. The idea is to develop situational awareness and prevent issues before they happen. I have nervous victims, quiet ones, loud ones, and some that are a combination of different issues. Why would you take a rescue class in gear you do not dive. And any instructor that can't handle teaching someone to do rescues in doubles or with victims in doubles should not be teaching a rescue class.

Same with the drysuit. If that's what you dive that's what you should use. And the instructor should be able to adjust and adapt to it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom