Recreational Rescue Class in Doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Finished the first day. After speaking with the instructor, I elected to do it in a Heinz 57 fashion. He thought it would be good for people to be exposed to the different types of rigs they might see around here. Before lunch I dove a traditional BC and regulator config. After lunch I dove a single tank BP/W with a long hose. My buddy had little trouble getting me out of my harness because I explained how to do it before hand, but he did forget to take my backup reg off my neck before pushing my rig away. :)

As an aside, the DM was absolutely freaking amazed at how fast I donated my regulator to him when he was simulating a panicking OOA diver. I had my my primary reg in his mouth and was breathing off my secondary before he could grab either of my regs, which he was trying like heck to do. Ah, cave training. I think I might just have a long hose convert... :D

Tomorrow, I think I will spring my doubles on the class... :eyebrow:

I did the rescue course last year in a BP/W with a single tank. No one really cared, but the instructor used it as a teaching point to the other students of some of the different gear configurations they might encounter. Fast forward to last month when I was a "victim" for a student taking the rescue class. This time I was in a drysuit and doubles. Both instances worked out to be a positive experience. I was diving in gear I was familiar with, and people around me were able to gain familiarity with different gear configurations.

For the OP, I might consider a single tank BP/W setup with long hose and drysuit just to avoid having to hastily get into a considerably heavier rig despite the fact that doubles may be what's on hand if you ever need to rescue someone. It will ultimately boil down to personal preference, and what the instructor is willing to allow I suppose. Enjoy the course!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom