Recreational Rescue Class in Doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a similar question before my Rescue class, not about doubles but about doing it in a backplate and wing. I decided to go ahead with it, because it didn't make sense to take the class in gear I didn't dive, and I was hoping to get some education about managing my gear in Rescue scenarios. What I got, instead, was two very puzzled instructors, and Bob (NW Grateful Diver) got a frustrated phone call from me each night asking him questions like, "How DO you get somebody out of a harness if you don't cut it?" (Don't ask me why I didn't take Rescue from Bob, who is local -- the answer is long, Byzantine, and husband-related).

So what I would say is not to take Rescue from an instructor who is unfamiliar with your gear. It won't teach you as much as you should learn in the class, and it will frustrate the dickens out of your classmates, because the instructor won't be able to help them with the problems, either.

SO what IS the answer about getting someone out of a harness? I'm in a rescue class right now and dive a BP/W. No one can figure it out...

SO what IS the answer about getting someone out of a harness? I'm in a rescue class right now and dive a BP/W. No one can figure it out...

In a real emergency, you cut.

In class, you "chicken wing" ... slide the hand under the shoulder strap and then pull their arm through. Depending on whether you're in the water or out, you can either "spin" the rig to the other side and remove it, or you can "chicken wing" the other arm.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

IRL: Z-Knife.

In class: Tell them to pony up, pretend it's real, and chicken wing your ass like you really need to part company with your rig. Quit padi-caking around.

I took it in a BP/W, and the only part that was a problem was the tow-rescue breath-equipment ditching sequence. Not the patient's gear, my own. That's one scenario where a quick release makes it easier to keep one hand on the patient and one releasing buckles. Fortunately, I was taught that getting rid of your own gear is the lowest priority, and I wouldn't be too surprised if PADI abandons the rescue breath part of the sequence anyway in favor of getting the patient out of the water as fast as possible.

When I did the rescue scenario and demonstrations for my DM, I used a jacket BC. It was a good reminder of how lousy they are to dive in. Oops, I turned a perfectly innocent thread into another 'jacket BCs suck" fest.

..............Oops, I turned a perfectly innocent thread into another 'jacket BCs suck" fest.

Not at all, jackets are fine. My gripe is that the rescue diver course is all too often taught with the same mentality as navigation.

If it were up to me, I'd make "hanging with first responders for a day" the only prerequisite. These aren't your "excuse me, sir, would you be so kind as to move slightly so we can pass" type of people. They are paid professionals that are trained to rescue the average citizen from himself and all other unspeakable harm. Few people really understand how they work and think. I had the good fortune to take a rescue-recovery course with in-water recovery types. I was permitted to hang with them after class. Oh God, the stories.

Rescue is the serious part of diving and it needs to be taught precisely that way or we just propagate some pointless "sheep mentality".

I'll let you know how I find Lapenta's course after I take it... Bring it on, Jim. I'm already on your roster, right?

Last edited:
I did mine in doubles, with my instructor in doubles as well. Good fun

Why make it more complicated than it has to be

Because Rescue is supposed to be challenging. And because it should replicate as closely as possible a real-life rescue scenario that you might find yourself in ie if you and your buddies dive doubles then you should do it in doubles (and drysuit and whatever), and find an instructor/class where everyone is using at least BP/W if not doubles

Because Rescue is supposed to be challenging. And because it should replicate as closely as possible a real-life rescue scenario that you might find yourself in ie if you and your buddies dive doubles then you should do it in doubles (and drysuit and whatever), and find an instructor/class where everyone is using at least BP/W if not doubles

I'll agree with all except that last bit. Rescue class isn't just about you and your buddies ... the chances are much higher that you're going to be involved in rescuing someone you have never met before. For this reason, I am in favor of learning about how to deal with a variety of different styles of equipment. During a real rescue, you won't be relaxed and calm ... and that's not the time to be learning about how to deal with someone else's equipment. I try to get "victims" in as many different configurations as possible. Heck, if I could talk a buddy into risking a flooded loop, I'd even get a rebreather out there, just so my students would've at least been exposed to how to manage it.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I've been asked to join a rescue class because I was diving in doubles and dry. As with Bob, that instructor wanted to show his students as many variations as possible.

I've been asked to join a rescue class because I was diving in doubles and dry. As with Bob, that instructor wanted to show his students as many variations as possible.

Someone's going to be asking you again pretty soon ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom