LDS Charging to TRY ON wetsuits???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I owned an LDS - I would charge $20 to try on a wetsuit and would give credit for the $20 if you purchased the suit.

In my LDS there is way too many people that come in to try on the suit for size with full intentions to purchase over the internet once they know what fits.

Some people sweat up a storm in trying on a new suit. Makes it more difficult to sell later.

Why not have one of each suit/size (even used) for folks to try on?

From my days working in an LDS, I find this to be completely stupid. We had plenty of instances where people actually told us they just wanted to check sizes before ordering online. We helped them just the same as if they handed over $10k upon entering. After the great service, seeing they would only be saving maybe 10% (which we usually ate if doing a package deal) and realizing that they NEEDED the LDS eventually, 99% bought in store. Had we treated EVERY potential customer like they were trying to rip us off, they would have just gone elsewhere.

Now, as an LP employee, vladimir is right, just order two and send one back :wink: (PFF Guaranty Program Information | LeisurePro.com)

There can be a solution like this. Customers wrongly using this LDS as a fitting room don't leave the place and start bad-mouthing it. It's called catering to the customer. "The customer is always right" or something like that from bygone times.

can understand the frustation lds goes thru with the type that uses them as a fitting room.I generally give people the benefit of doubt that they do the "right thing"..BUT if I know for sure that is going on charging to try on suits is sounding like a good idea.Some customers you just know that is what they are up to .Either they come in informed too well about the product or go on their phone to see what it costs online as they try on in the store.Sometimes they outright tell you they are planning to get product online.At that point I would tell them that we are not a fitting room.Once a customer tried on a suit they told me they were getting it online for something like $20 less.did not want to hear about what we can offer to meet the online price..they then forgot what size fit them, she actually wanted me to write it down.I told her it was a 8 when she was barely able to squeeze into a 10, she really needed a 12..to be a fly on the wall when she got hers delivered and she tried to get into that size 8..too funny..

Why not have one of each suit/size (even used) for folks to try on?
So, an XS, S, M, L, XL, and an XXL, ideally? Let's say at least five different suits to try on...in the 3-mm. Five more in the 5-mm and another five in the 7-mm. So, fifteen suits to try on...in the Henderson. What about the Bare suits? Another fifteen suits. So, thirty suits taking up precious shelf space and capital just for people to try on, as a public service? And you don't have nearly the inventory you need to compete with the online sellers; a quick look at LP's site indicates that they stock about twenty brands. It doesn't sound like a great idea to me.

With global warming, we won't need wetsuits
we'll need cold-suits

This sounds crazy. I would not pay to try a wetsuit on. That being said, I would not use my LDS as just a fitting room.
As for lower prices on the internet, I have found one LDS in the area that almost always has prices as low or lower than most web sites. If not, they will match the price.

in sydney we're seeing some interesting tactics to counter the internet, where the saving is sometimes 40% by going to a US shop and paying for DHL shipping.

some stores are aligning with brands, reducing their range, but focusing on a few brands and really driving down costs due to being aligned with only a few brands, some are doing the above and enforcing a cost to try stuff (even people buying a full package, to use the pool, seriously, if you're buying +2.5k of gear, do you think $40 is going to make any difference?) and some are internet? what internet?!? continuing to charge high prices, be a pain in the ass to deal with and arrogant to the point of laughter, others are offering the courses very cheaply with the hope of 1 in 10 buying a complete set.

while no store in australia can match LP, some are going close which is fantastic to see. at the end of the day it's up to everyone in the supply chain to do their bit. in industries where I've worked, the regional distro's make the biggest cut while the European manufacturer makes the same and the australian stores can't compete with the internet unless they make a loss (with overheads included).

So, an XS, S, M, L, XL, and an XXL, ideally? Let's say at least five different suits to try on...in the 3-mm. Five more in the 5-mm and another five in the 7-mm. So, fifteen suits to try on...in the Henderson. What about the Bare suits? Another fifteen suits. So, thirty suits taking up precious shelf space and capital just for people to try on, as a public service? And you don't have nearly the inventory you need to compete with the online sellers; a quick look at LP's site indicates that they stock about twenty brands. It doesn't sound like a great idea to me.

Point well taken. My idea not a good one. I also have no problem with the $25 charge mentioned by the OP since the shop told her ahead of time that was the deal. But there has to be a solution. I would not pay anything to try on a wetsuit--and as an honest customer I also wouldn't care what problems other jerks were causing the LDS. I don't imagine there are many LDSs that charge to try on a wetsuit because I imagine most folks are like me and would exit quickly.

I don't imagine there are many LDSs that charge to try on a wetsuit because I imagine most folks are like me and would exit quickly.
Yes, most would, I think. It is tantamount to hanging up a sign that says, "We charge significantly more than online dealers." I am not particularly price sensitive, but I don't go out of my way to spend more, either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom