heart beating through my chest at depth,,why??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

See a doctor for sure, but it could also be nitrogen narcosis. It effects everyone differently and at different depths.

I looked at your profile and saw you are a 30 year old male from Ireland. Now more info is needed- like your height, weight, medical history, and also what your ate/drank/smoked in the 12 hours preceding the dive. If there is no obvious connecting factor (ie, obesity, failure to take prescribed medication, or eating a bad burrito) then panic attack is a good guess, but thats all it is. If you want a diagnosis, see a doctor. If you want a good dive story, ask a diver.
DivemasterDennis

cheers everyone,,, i have had 5 more dives since this happened and not a problem since,,i am however a little bit nervous so im convinced this was a mild panic attack,, as i get deeper i get a little bit more worried,,, i am expecting something bad to happen at any minute for some reason and have to keep saying to my self "AS LONG AS IM BREATHING IM FINE" this usually does the trick and i calm down a bit,,then it pops into my head again and i do it again,,,i dont 3 dives today,,all of them in amazing viz with great things to see,,but dive 2 was a little bit worrying than the other 2,,, its because i have to listen to my own thought thats unsettleing,,maybe my ear will pop,,maybe ill get vertigo suddenly,maybe the mouth peice of my regulators gonna fall off and i breath water,maybe i run out of air,,, hahah its a nightmare at times but has gotten better as the dives have gone by,,, nothing like this is likely to happen anyway is it,, nothing so far in 66 dives "touch wood" haha ya see there i go again,,i guess i just need to relax more and enjoy the surroundings

the same thing happens to me when I'm with my Gf and we walk into an expensive store and she starts really looking at stuff. :)

Glad to heard you're okay. You just need to find a way to keep yourself relaxed. Find something that works for you, everybody is a little different.

the same thing happens to me when I'm with my Gf and we walk into an expensive store and she starts really looking at stuff. :)

Glad to heard you're okay. You just need to find a way to keep yourself relaxed. Find something that works for you, everybody is a little different.

yes i get that in the shop too, ive started singing to myself when im underwater,,that done the trick on my last dive

I am not so sure that you need to see your physician, but I guess it can't hurt.

From what you described, I must suffer from the same malady :) When I go deep I sometimes find myself breathing harder and my heart rate accelerates. In my case I believe the response is a normal adrenal reaction to a stressful environment which is exacerbated if I am cold or if visibility is poor. Nitrogen narcosis undoubtedly also plays a role below 70 ft (about 25 meters). I have managed to manage the problem to the point where it rarely occurs any more with the following strategies:

1. Have fun. I try to immerse my mind in the environment and what is going on around me instead of worrying how much water is above me;
2. Relax. Breathe. Your breathing mix gets thicker as you descend: adjust the venturi on your second stage to allow easier breathing (if your reg has this option);
3. Slow down. Check your buoyancy. Minimize exertion;
4. Have fun;
5. Check your air regularly! and
6. Wear appropriate insulation.

Most importantly, if you don't feel like going deep, don't!.

If this was with a drysuit, and the neck seal wasn't sized/trimmed properly, it could have been Carotid Sinus Reflex, which jacks up your hear rate and blood pressure in response to constricted arteries in your neck.

flots

If this was with a drysuit, and the neck seal wasn't sized/trimmed properly, it could have been Carotid Sinus Reflex, which jacks up your hear rate and blood pressure in response to constricted arteries in your neck.
Actually, I think the carotid sinus reflex does the opposite. Increased pressure of a dry suit neck seal is interpreted as higher blood pressure which slows the heart.
knotical is correct. That's how the baroreceptor reflex works.

flots am's explanation would be inconsistent with the OP's complaint.

Back
Top Bottom