Hong Kong diver dead in spearfishing accident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Could the diver have been caught up in the excitement of his catch and been unaware of how deep he was going? Then when he realized it, he surfaced too fast :(
That's my speculation based on the news article, altho it is written to leave confusion. It sounds like he survived long enough "Realizing he was in deep waters, he tried to surface too fast, resulting in what many believed to be the bends" but it also says he drowned? I suspect that was a faulty translation involved. It did say they were diving off of Tung Lung Chau...
from Tung Lung Chau - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Tung Lung Chau (Chinese: 東龍洲, lit. eastern dragon island), also known as Nam Tong Island (南堂&#23798:wink: is an island located off the tip of the Clear Water Bay Peninsula in the New Territories of Hong Kong. It is also referred by Hong Kong people as Tung Lung To or Tung Lung Island (東龍&#23798:wink:. The island is largely uninhabited. Administratively, it belongs to Sai Kung District.

how deep is deep in diver's point of view?..how many meters do you guys consider deep?

how deep is deep in diver's point of view?..how many meters do you guys consider deep?
Recreational divers are trained to 40 meters = 130 ft. Many of us have been deeper, but it's rare we get close to that.

60 meters = 196 feet is deeper than I have ever been, or want to be.

The accident did not happen in HK territorial water contrary to the original report.
It happened in South China oil rig which is a favourite place for the local spearfishermen. Couple of hrs away by speed boat. An restricted area but .........The boat was probably not equipped with satelite phone therefore had to make a dash back to HK.

It's not unheard of for spearfishers to get entangled in their line after they hit a fish. I think a freediver died last year that way.

My take on the article was that the Divemaster (Ma) went to the chamber (with wounds on his arms) and the diver who shot the fish (To) drowned. I gathered they, and the other four in their group, were all on Scuba.

ASSUMING that the fish was actually 50kg, that's a 110lb fish. That fish would be a challenge strapped to a chair on the deck of ship. A fish that size, swimming full bore in panic is going to pull you down extremely quickly. But of course, this is assuming it was a 50kg fish.

edit for grammar.

Last edited by a moderator:

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

This thread has been cleaned out of off-topic, blame-storming and bickering posts.

Please note the specific forum rules that apply to the A&I forum.

If you wish to discuss the broader merits of a scuba activity, then find a more appropriate thread.

The A&I forum does not exist for the attributing of blame.

Special Rules for Accidents & Incidents Forum
The purpose of this forum is the promotion of safe diving through the examination and discussion of accidents and incidents; to find lessons we can apply to our own diving.
Accidents, and incidents that could easily have become accidents, can often be used to illustrate actions that lead to injury or death, and their discussion is essential to building lessons learned from which improved safety can flow. To foster the free exchange of information valuable to this process, the "manners" in this forum are much more tightly controlled than elsewhere on the board. In addition to the TOS:

(1) You may not release any names here, until after the names have appeared in the public domain (articles, news reports, sheriff's report etc.) The releasing report must be cited. Until such public release, the only name you may use in this forum is your own.
(2) Off topic posts will be removed and off topic comments will be edited.
(3) No flaming, name calling or otherwise attacking other posters. You may attack ideas; you may not attack people.
(4) No trolling; no blamestorming. Mishap analysis does not lay blame, it finds causes.
(5) No "condolences to the family" here. Please use our Passings Forum for these kinds of messages.
(6) If you are presenting information from a source other than your own eyes and ears, cite the source.
(7) If your post is your hypothesis, theory, or a "possible scenario," identify it as such.
(8) If your post is about legal action that concerns a mishap, use the Scuba Related Court Cases forum.

If you wish to continue participating in this discussion, please abide by the forum rules.

The book, The Helldivers Rodeo, discusses some "extreme" approaches to spear fishing off of oil rigs. It has been a few years but I seem to recall a description of the approach where the spear gun was harnessed to the diver when hunting massive fish. Is that what happened here? I have no idea. I wasn't there. I'm just suggesting that it might not be as simple as "letting go" of the spear gun as the fish drags you down.

I been to the oil rig off Hong Kong, it was approx 70 n.miles away in the South China Sea. There are a few out there.
The water there is approx 100 meters ( 330 feet ) where I dove.

A 50kg fish can pull two divers easy or twice the fish body weight....anyday. If it is a grouper, it will swim slow, it if is those fast pelagics, easy 3+ knots with a diver in tow. Our fins at best will not generate more than 15kg of thrust and do that for 90 seconds, you start seeing stars from over extertion.

Usually scubahunters use their BCD to assist from being towed deep, which I personally will not use due to possible run-away ascent if the shooting line breaks.
The hell divers has special technique called I think a "rig riding" or something. Its a rope of a few meters long tied to the speargun and will be used as "friction makers" on the rigs legs when big fish pull them down. Swim and make a knot using that rope, the braking force is great.
BCD or fins is useless for tuna of even 40kg up which is not shot stoned.

The biggest fish in that South China sea oil rig will be grouper, billfish family, amberjack and in winter it is Yellowtail. That rigs has supply vessel going and coming, propellers killing a hunter is another possibility when hunter is outside the rig legs.

That poor hunter must have inflated his BCD to a 100% full state and at 60 meters or 7 ATM, that is a lot of air to dump later during run-away ascent and best to use the BCD dump valve by pulling on the big BCD air hose instead of using the slow inflator dump valve.

The only time I use my BCD maximum floatation was when I got sucked down by downcurrent, fins kicking and full BCD inflation only slowed me down but I kept sinking. No choice but I use my final secret weapon with additional 44 lbs of flotation. I was aiming for a sea mount but the current was 3.5 knots. Missed the sea mount and got eddy current creating down current and water depth was 600-2000 feet, so I got nothing to grab in that bluewater. Well me stupid for being too confident, I did this sea mount often at up to 2.5 knots current only and horizontal, never I experience vertical current...........and that nasty day was sooooo different.

Safe Dive guys
IYA

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom