intro limits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wormil

Contributor
Reaction score
My understanding is that intro to cave is limited to main line only. My question is, does this mean you can tie off to the main line in peacock and swim around the side passage (the one near the nicholson jump). Or is it strictly stay on main line and do not deviate.
I'm planning to dive with a diver who is intro, and I want to stay in rules for them.

A practice lost diver excersise up the Nicholson tunnel? That is mighty grey area of you.

IMO, that would not be an intro dive, but I'm sure there's some loop hole into the grey area that you could come up with... I'm positive that wasn't an intended dive possibility when the Intro guidelines were drafted up though...

Then again, I'm not an instructor. I just give people a hard time mostly.

That's not even remotely useful or close to what I asked. You did set the bar high as far as anwers go though. It will behard to post as big of a pile of **** as that.

Then make your question more clear. I suggest a thrilling image rendered in MS Paint, certainly it'd be clearer then.

A question for a newb!? :bounce4:

My understanding is that intro to cave is limited to main line only. My question is, does this mean you can tie off to the main line in peacock and swim around the side passage (the one near the nicholson jump). Or is it strictly stay on main line and do not deviate.
I'm planning to dive with a diver who is intro, and I want to stay in rules for them.

Fresh, well sort of, from Intro class, my understanding is no deviation from mainline. That is NACD/NSSCDS, not sure if the term Intro applies to the other cave cert agencies though, which perhaps have different guidelines.

I just give people a hard time mostly.
and to think, you seemed like a nice guy when I met ya :D nice pics btw in the last issue of Underwater Speleology!

Can't I be a nice guy who gives people a hard time? :)

Thanks, BTW

Wormil, your question isn't really clear.

Where are you tying off the primary reel?

Either way, it's kind of an issue of technicalities vs. spirit of the law.

Has this intro diver really seen everything there is to see at intro limits at Peacock? What about other caves in the area? If they are ready for side passages, why haven't they gone ahead and taken Apprentice? Do you really want to help enable someone to start bending other rules? I know atleast one diver who is at the Intro level, with friends who will take him on "full cave" dives. He has no incentive to get further training because he has friends who enable him.

Can't I be a nice guy who gives people a hard time? :)

Thanks, BTW

well, I think if you redirected half your energy from busting peoples chops towards being helpful, I for one, could probably learn a thing or 2 and spend less time :shakehead:

yw

Wormil, your question isn't really clear.

Do you really want to help enable someone to start bending other rules?

I must be the only simple minded person here, his question seemed straight forward to me :idk:

Maybe you guys know each other and JahJah is reading more into Wormil's post, but I thought his intent was to NOT do what you are suggesting and do right, dive planning wise, by his intro buddy?

Intro limitation is main line only with no navigational decisions.

There are two ways to cheat intro limits by running a line. He could run it from the cavern zone, and tie into the Nicholson tunnel, making it the "mainline." Follows the letter of the law, right?

Or, he could go to the Nicholson jump, tie in, and just swim around to the end of his reel. Since he didn't tie into the jump line, it's like he "never left the mainline" when in fact he's really not necessarily on the mainline.

I wouldn't expect Wormil to try to cheat the spirit of the law, he's a very cautious and darn good cave diver with a good head on his shoulders (but don't tell him I said that, as far as he knows, I think he's criz-azy!) I'm sure he'll take good care of the diver, keeping him well within intro limits.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom