What sort of things do you like to put in your Logbook?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jseteroff

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Besides the date, location, time and depth, what sort of things do you keep track of? What have you wrote down that you felt you wanted to look at 1 year or 5 or 10 years down the road?

For me besides the basics most important are:

- weighting related:
exposure protection (i.e. 5mm wetsuit + hood)
tank (i.e. steel 12l)
weights used (say 4 kg for example)
comment on whether I was properly weighted or not
With this I can always go back and figure out what weight I would need for a particular combination of tank and protection to figure out how much weight I need for a dive.

- air consumption
Tank size, starting pressure, ending pressure, dive time, avg depth -> calculate air use (SAC)
I use this to see over time how much air I burn on different dives depending on temp, current etc etc and that helps me in planning of future dives.

Cheers,
Ad

Any info that might be useful later. Weighting, gear choices, etc. Buddies and anything special about the dive.

Always, anything I may have learned about myself, my gear, the effects of any gear changes, and/or any new skill I may have worked on during the dive, so I can draw from this info long afterward.

I keep careful track of my weight requirements for all of the various dive configurations and situations (wet vs. dry, 3mm vs. 5mm, single vs. double cylinder, fresh vs. salt water, etc.). That way, I never have to guess how much lead to carry for any particular dive.

Temp.-air & water. Viz, PSI, SI. Exposure suit if different than usual. Currents. Tides. Wind. Shells found. Flounders speared. Other things seen (lobster, etc.). Odd fish. Jellies (nasty or otherwise). Anything else unusual.

Date, Time down, Time up, Max Depth, Buddy, Location, Mode, Platform, Purpose, Project, Account.

Last edited:
Temperature and exposure protection so I can recall later and bring the right equipment.

Aside from the technical stuff, I like to write down anything really neat I find or see. So I can remember that dive. Sometimes I will write down the folder I saved all the pictures in on my computer. Anything to remember that dive later, or refer to it to know what to expect next time.

I find my old dive logs annoying because I'd come up with dramatic stories about some dives, and then go through old logs and realize that it wasn't nearly as amazing as I had told everyone over drinks two years later.

Compass headings are probably most immediately useful. I've been introduced to a few dives by divers that for some reason I don't dive with again, and the headings are the only way to re-find certain points of interest.

I've found things that affect buoyancy to be really useful, especially when planning a trip elsewhere. These include type of tank, lead, BP/W v jacket BC, exposure protection, etc. And you can also track how fat and buoyant one has become over the years in case you need motivation to work out.

Otherwise, what the guys above said.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom