Equipment failure management

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi to all,

i'm searching a book that explain possible equipment failure and how to manage them. Correct procedure pre, during and post dive to do can also be a good thing if present.
Does it exist???
Someone can suggest one?

Thanks

I would check out some of the GUE or DIR stuff or the teck or solo sections. You will find there is a lot on having redundant equipment is case sh_t happens.

Try Doppler's book or the GUE Technical book. But honestly this is what you need to take a course for.

Hi everyone, thanks I'll try 'to explain myself better certainly some aspects can be taught and tested in a course but not all.
Certain types of problems can be explained only by people who have adequate experience. An open course does not allow to elaborate on all these aspects so 'that one is left with doubts.
Some problems with the equipment they are not even explained in a course also advanced.
So I try a book that explains just that, the various scenarios that may exist and how to manage them.
Unfortunately I only do recreational courses but I have seen that the recreational courses sometimes do not deepen enough and I think in some ways it is better to learn them quickly. Honestly, I always have the impression of lost some importante piece of theory i mean also basic procedure (example how to assemble and test all the equipment) sorry but i'm real intersting in this i made some corses also advanced but some i encouted some partner with not enough clear concepts.
i think this is no good.....recreational sometimes seems to be too many commercial.
i'm moving to DIR method but i'm not sure to be ready..... i need to study clarify all the aspect, try to understand what 'best and what worst an then putting together to achieve the best result.
So this is what i think......
I'm reading Deco for Divers that is a good book....what else?

What you are describing is technical training, which is all about failures management. If you are "moving to DIR" then you should talk to your instructor about managing failures. I made too book suggestions above, but this stuff isn't best-taught from a book.

What you are describing is technical training, which is all about failures management. If you are "moving to DIR" then you should talk to your instructor about managing failures. I made too book suggestions above, but this stuff isn't best-taught from a book.

I would tend to argue that *all* training should be about failure management. You should be learning about dealing with equipment failure from your OW class on, not just when you get to technical classes.

Kristopher

I would tend to argue that *all* training should be about failure management. You should be learning about dealing with equipment failure from your OW class on, not just when you get to technical classes.

I don't disagree. But if you want to be guaranteed the type of failure management the OP is talking about, you need a (good) technical class.

I don't disagree. But if you want to be guaranteed the type of failure management the OP is talking about, you need a (good) technical class.

I still don't think that the course needs to be a technical one. I'm not trying to be obstinate or disagreeable, but you can find good recreational instructors who will cover dealing with equipment failure emergencies during their regular classes. Are those instructors common? No, but they're out there if you look for them. It does seem to me that instructors who will cover equipment failure management do often teach technical classes as well, and there very well might be some flow back and forth between the technical and the recreational classes, however I still feel that dealing with equipment failure is not at all a technical specialty, but something that any diver with common sense should want to know about.

Kristopher

I still don't think that the course needs to be a technical one. I'm not trying to be obstinate or disagreeable, but you can find good recreational instructors who will cover dealing with equipment failure emergencies during their regular classes. Are those instructors common? No, but they're out there if you look for them. It does seem to me that instructors who will cover equipment failure management do often teach technical classes as well, and there very well might be some flow back and forth between the technical and the recreational classes, however I still feel that dealing with equipment failure is not at all a technical specialty, but something that any diver with common sense should want to know about.

Sure, but how would you advise a stranger on the internet who hasn't even posted his location? I can think of two or three who I would recommend for an OW-style class that would do a decent job of covering equipment failure. But I suspect they're nowhere near where the OP is.

Back
Top Bottom