Content Labeling Doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just use blue painters tape and a Sharpie for mine. Works fine, doesn't leave residue. I only put down the O2% and date on mine. It comes in a variety of widths from 3/4" to 2", so there's plenty of room to write big numbers. Disclaimer - I dive caves 90% of the time, so my saltwater dives are somewhat limited, but as far as I can recall, I haven't had any isues with the tape coming off in saltwater either.

Hang tags are a no go for me as they can get snagged on stuff above and below the surface.

For me, the MOD is not something I need on my tank. My dives are planned ahead of time and gas selected based on the dive plan, so I'm not going to show up at the dive site and have to check the tank to remember how deep I can go. If for some odd reason I needed to know the MOD at the last minute, the Vplanner on my phone will give it to me.

For blue water ocean diving, it might be more applicable, but even then I question the need. Also, I will typically dive caves at a 1.2-1.3 pO2, whereas a basic simple non-deco OW dive might be planned at a 1.4 pO2, so I'm really more interested in that depth as opposed to a 1.6 PO2 MOD.

For my use, the blue tape does everything I need. It's simple, cheap, easy to read, easy to modify and doesn't leave a residue.

Thanks,

John

Hello.

I have been using the Duct tape for a while. You are right about the residue being difficult to remove from the tank. I put the duct tape on the SS band. If I do get any residue when I remove the tape then I clean it with lacquer thinner.

Has worked pretty well for me so far.

The one thing I don't like about what you have done (which is clever, btw) is that if you have any issues in the water, your buddy can't check your contents label to see if gas has anything to do with it. The one advantage to some kind of labelling on the shoulder of the tank is that other people can easily check it.

...plus the fact that I rarely dissassemble my doubles from my BP/Wg as I prefer using the harness for transportation including to and from the dive shop for refill. However I figure that if the band can be fitted as you did on the inside, you could also do it facing outside and judging where it sits in relation to the tanks, the writing would still be protected as well as being visible to all.

Yeah, blue painters tape. Unlike duct tape, it doesn't leave any residue (certainly nothing that can't easily be wiped away). It's cheap, easily visible to the team while wearing the cylinder (backmount, deco, stage, etc), doesn't fall off, and doesn't mark up the cylinders. I have very good luck with it.

I use white vinyl tape. It leaves no residue.

+1 on the vinyl tape. The contents labels that Halcyon sells by the roll are OK too, leaving no residue, although I sometimes have trouble tearing a label neatly off the roll.

I usually use blue painters tape but have had good success with Tridents Tank Valve Tape (part # DS02). Neither leave a residue and if I could find a local source for the trident tape I'd probably use it as I tend to put a piece of tape around the valve to mark what tanks are filled in my shed and it fits perfectly. However, as long as my roommate works at a paint store I'll be sticking with the scotch blue tape. Can't bear free :wink:

I use white vinyl tape. It leaves no residue.

Ditto. Also, the label is on the back of the cylinders where my team can see my name, mix, and MOD.

I like duct tape because then if your buddy's wrist seal starts to fray on the boat, it can serve a dual-purpose :)
Doesn't really leave too much residue.
Also use blue painters tape which works fine.

Really glad my duct tape was visible last year when I went to the 70 foot deco stop and looked down at the tank ... only to find I had forgotten to "draw" the 70-MOD on my deco bottle (was an 80 that isn't usually used for 50%)

You should have seen how wide my buddy's eyes went, especially as the duct-tape label was only easily readable by me.

That was an "interesting" dive....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom