Content Labeling Doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For removing permanent marker try writing over it with a dry erase marker. The ingredient that effects one, effects the other and both wipe off.

Ditto. Also, the label is on the back of the cylinders where my team can see my name, mix, and MOD.
i put also a small piece of tape on the regulator with the mod, so the buddy, and me, can see if it is the good regulator.

i put also a small piece of tape on the regulator with the mod, so the buddy, and me, can see if it is the good regulator.

Until a reg fails on the surface and you move it to another tank .... I would honestly stick to the usual method of 3" MOD stickers on deco (or stage) bottles, and if a buddy has any issue with Back Gas, they are going on my long hose and we are getting the heck out of there.

I am not hanging around to check their duct/GUE/blue tape to see if I can decode their handwriting.

I guess it *could* be useful if a buddy appears to tox and you want to try to see if its a real tox, or some other seizure but now we are splitting a pretty fine hair.

Until a reg fails on the surface and you move it to another tank ....
sure
i can also win a big amount at the loto, or receive a lightning even if no storm.
or call me 'stupid / idiot'

you can forget your glasses and become unable to read the sticker, as you didn't read that i wrote : ... also ...

sure
i can also win a big amount at the loto, or receive a lightning even if no storm.
or call me 'stupid / idiot'

you can forget your glasses and become unable to read the sticker, as you didn't read that i wrote : ... also ...

True, but if a regulator failing only happened as often as I won the lotto (given that I might have 6 or 7 in use for a single dive) I would stop spending on diving and buy a LOT of lotto tickets right now!

I have seen plenty of regs/hoses fail at the surface and get moved between bottles or even divers ... I'd really not like to be relying on something written on one of them honestly, but you are obviously freed to do it however you feel is best :)

I tend to agree with limeyx in that I wouldn't completely trust something written either.

That being said, if we are at the surface before a technical dive has even started and already we have hoses failing, I will thumb the dive right then and there. I think it'd be extremely foolish to start a technical dive (or any other dive for that matter) with known equipment problems.

The one thing I don't like about what you have done (which is clever, btw) is that if you have any issues in the water, your buddy can't check your contents label to see if gas has anything to do with it. The one advantage to some kind of labelling on the shoulder of the tank is that other people can easily check it.

...plus the fact that I rarely dissassemble my doubles from my BP/Wg as I prefer using the harness for transportation including to and from the dive shop for refill. However I figure that if the band can be fitted as you did on the inside, you could also do it facing outside and judging where it sits in relation to the tanks, the writing would still be protected as well as being visible to all.

Interesting point. As RTee mentioned, rotating the stainless strip about 60° to the back side of the doubles works the same. About the only thing you give up is seeing it when selecting the rig to assemble the back plate and maybe a little convenience when labeling after filling or analyzing. If you can write and read small writing, using the protected area of the band themselves works. I was just after something more apparent and easier to read.

Another alternative would be to drill two holes in the stainless strip and bolt them on the front or backside of the bands. All that strikes me as more effort, but may work better for some people.

I wear my personal doubles valve-down so marking the neck isn’t as easy to see. I am still modifying my next generation of protector so it wasn’t in these photos.

For removing permanent marker try writing over it with a dry erase marker. The ingredient that effects one, effects the other and both wipe off.

You mean like these?
Expo Low Odor Dry Erase Board Markers

Wouldn’t the dry erase marker soon get saturated with the Sharpie ink? I tried a Tide stain stick… It was slow to erase and was pretty well hosed the tip after one try… my bride was not too pleased about it either. :no:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom