Free dive depth question.. OT?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CharlesAFerg

Registered
Reaction score
All, I've actually been very interested in SCUBA for quite some time, but haven't had the funds to get certified. (school, economy, jobs..)

Regardless, I just returned from a trip to Maui, (I know, bad place to go if you can't dive) and I had an incredible time snorkeling. Still, I couldn't help myself to "free dive" down quite a distance. I'm in excellent shape, and I'm an even more of an excellent swimmer, so this was no problem. Yet, I have always wondered one simple thing. Is there a safe depth that I may descend to, yet return without issue? I'm not worried about drowning because of oxygen deprivation, but curious if one must be "at depth" for some period of time before decompression sickness could potentially be an issue? It's just fun to be down there below the surface, which I'm sure you can all understand. It's just that this question kept nagging at me while I was on vacation, and made me wonder why I don't understand these things fully. Could somebody be so kind as to educate me on this issue?

Much appreciated

There was a thread talking about this not too long ago. I'll see if I can find it.

Something along the lines not a big issue unless you're freediving to depth many many times. Pearl divers and abalone divers who freedive half a day or longer are more susceptible to DCS due to the nature of multiple descents/ascents to depth.

The dangers of breath hold diving are not the same as compressed gas diving. I think I've heard of DCS in sport free diving but it's so rare its probably not worth mentioning. The associated risks of breath hold diving is shallow water blackout and drowning. Since you're not breathing gas at depth you don't really have to worry about nitrogen build-up. SWB typically happens when divers alter their breathing techniques to rid their bodies of excess co2, which as you know is how the body tells us its time to breathe. There is, of course, a class on free diving which shows you how to do all this correctly. I wouldn't worry about the bends.

No worries. I never would have gotten out of my 20's if there were. I don't breath hold dive anymore (free diving? nothing's free) but way back I'd do it all day long, I actually got a 2nd degree sunburn on my back from snorkeling so long in one day. Enjoy it's a great way to get comfortable in and under the water. You'll be ready to scuba when your wallet is ready.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom