PADI was a member of the CMAS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

all-the-things.jpg

Wikipedia isn't a source to quote since it can be changed by anyone at any time. Ralph Erickson was the instructor, John Cronin was a businessman.

Every single change is logged. Add the revision number to the citation and I'll accept it as a source.

Other than Instructor Examiners, Regional Managers and office staff... PADI doesn't employ any instructors. It churns out quite a few though... most of whom cease renewing their membership within 2-3 years of instructor certification.

Well, I guess there are many people that are employed by PADI that are probably dive instructors so that might not be an untrue statement, although they might not be employed to specifically instruct. 10,000 seems a really high number of employees though.

Every single change is logged. Add the revision number to the citation and I'll accept it as a source.

Professional Association of Diving Instructors - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you go to this article you will see that the second sentence is untrue. Even the reference site that is given for that specific sentence ( ^ Tillman, Tom. "The history of PADI". Scuba America Historical Foundation. Founding of PADI. Retrieved 2009-05-23.) contradicts it.

Hence, Wikipedia information cannot be trusted without checking it first.

Professional Association of Diving Instructors - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you go to this article you will see that the second sentence is untrue. Even the reference site that is given for that specific sentence ( ^ Tillman, Tom. "The history of PADI". Scuba America Historical Foundation. Founding of PADI. Retrieved 2009-05-23.) contradicts it.

Hence, Wikipedia information cannot be trusted without checking it first.
There is a thread currently active in the DIR section about the Wikipedia article on DIR. In it I mentioned that as poor as that DIR article is, it is much better than the PADI article. That PADI article is full of misinformation. If you copy/paste sections into MS Word and use the word count feature, you will find that the article is dominated in size by the criticism section, which reads like a group of beginning divers chatting about what they had overheard one day. If you want a real education about how Wikipedia articles are formed, go to the talk page on the PADI section. (You can link to from one of the lines describing the disputes in the criticism section.) Once you are there, you will see that the article was written by people who had very little information about PADI. You will see people making totally erroneous accusations about its policies. I was, frankly, shocked by what I read there, and it made me see Wikipedia in a whole new (and very unfavorable) light.

Back
Top Bottom