Rescue Diver course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brian2828

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I already posted a similar question on the basic training forum, but I think I might have put it in the wrong place. I'm considering the PADI Rescue Diver course. I'd appreciate opinions from anyone who has been through the course. Have those who completed the course felt better prepared to deal with emergencies (particularly self rescue)?

Thanks

Absolutly the best course I have taken since being certified. You learn some of the basics and things to do in situations and to prepare for them before hand. A good instructor will push you so that you are learning also. Can't recommend the course enough.

Completely agree with Endurodog. It was a difficult course but I walked away feeling quite a bit better about my diving and my ability to help myself and a fellow diver in distress. I became acutely aware of my fellow divers - more than you are when diving with only a buddy. I would highly recommend it and once you've taken the class, continue to hone and perfect what you learned.

Brian, Thanks for posting your question. Good to see you wanting to further your dive education:) The Rescue course was one of the best courses in diving that I have taken. It is challenging, but well worth it. Further, you may find that the focus on prevention and preparation helps you to identify which areas of your own skills you'd like to improve. It will definitely help to make you a better dive buddy and dive boat passenger. Good luck!

Have those who completed the course felt better prepared to deal with emergencies (particularly self rescue)?

Yes. Learning about the common problems divers run into, the means to reduce risk & deal with them when they arise, and the consequences of 'losing it' (e.g.: panic, arterial gas embolism, etc...), plus the simple truth that you can usually think your way through a problem should you encounter one, can improve your competency and confidence.

From what I understand, often it's not the problem that kills you, but freaking out about the problem that kills you. There are certainly problems that can kill you; there are often ways out of them, though, and especially to prevent them in the first place.

Richard.

it's not the problem that kills you, but freaking out about the problem that kills you. There are certainly problems that can kill you; there are often ways out of them, though, and especially to prevent them in the first place.

Richard.
Very well said. Its the golden rule of life. If you have a second to think then use it. People always freak out about things and then loose it. If they would just calm down and think things through there is almost always an answer.

It's a great course that's a lot of fun and is definitely a confidence builder knowing that you can help somebody else through a problem, or help yourself.

I definitely would recommend the course.

I also got a lot out of the EFR? course. Which I believe is a prerequisite. Way back when it was 50 dollars. Best money I ever spent. I need a refresher.

I found the basic O2 course from DAN very valuable as well. Best in the series IMHO.

Best PADI course you can take within the recreational offerings. Coupled with EFR it will make you a better, more self-reliant diver. Coupled with the ability to recognize and deal with situations around you that don't go, well, exactly as planned.
Take the class, be challenged and enjoy. Know that the result is worth the time and effort.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom