No Frill Wedding

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's the same for hangings too, right?
That's right. I am no longer authorized to do those either. :sad:

how about a captain on a live-a-board?
Interesting question, but since Coz has none - have to seek that answer elsewhere I suppose.

If you want a very basic ceremony, I would think a local clergyman could be hired for a hundred bucks or so?
The problem with a local clergyman is that they are only able to do the religious part of the wedding they cannot preform a legal wedding in Mexico that takes the local Judge.

Well, the ceremony is just a ceremony, it is not what makes a marrage legal, the paper work does. When we got married, going on 24 years ago, our preacher had us sign our marrage certs. before the wedding and told us that we were "officially" married at that point, the ceremony was really just something to make a public statement of our marriage, so to speak.

Go to the JOP here in the U.S. and get the paperwork done, then go to Coz and hire a local clergyman/woman to do you a ceremony on the beach.

I don't know where you stay, but DM Jose at Blue Angel is a priest, I don't think most people know that.

Also, we went to a church for Easter one year down there, that I think is a Presbyterian church it's located on Ave. 30 (north), they do non-denominational services, the preacher is an American woman, very nice, she could possibly help you out.

Also, Also, there was also a young American preacher that was doing a start-up church in a storefront along Calle 11 Sur (11th street south), but I'm not sure where they are now. You could contact Lisa at Rock-n-Java (the owner), she was attending that church when we went there a couple years ago.

Hope this helps

Why not? What difference does it make where you are?
I'm not official here anymore, and some above said you have to have a local judge do it there anyway.

When I got married there 9 years ago I went to the Municipal building and asked in every open door until I found the judge. He charged us $300 US, and the legal form required 4 witnesses from our native country who all had to sign the marriage document at the ceremony. We had it done on the balcony of the hotel, now the Cozumel Palace. If you want it legal in the states you have to file at the courthouse back home. My wife is an attorney and took care of it all.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that a blood test was required. We went to the recommended clinic, paid $75 each and got our blood drawn. The tech(?) told us to come back in 45 minutes for the results. He gave us a handwritten form that essentially said no AIDS or STD. I have no doubt that it was faked, but we had to have it for the certificate. Of course, this was 9 years ago, and I don't want to denigrate the medical care on the island now.

Sounds like it'd be best to execute the license at home, then get a pastor for the beach ceremony.

Unfortunately it appears I am the first to say it – congratulations!!!

Just want to say thanks to everyone for the info. We decided just to get married in the states. Easy and cheap. The more money we save the more we have to spend in Cozumel on diving and eating.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom