Review little cayman resort feb 2-6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

richh32

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi
I just wanted to chime in about my short trip to Little Cayman while everything is somewhat fresh in my mind. I literally just walked in the door about an hour ago and decided to leave some input for those thinking of going there. I am going to be brief and to the point. I have never been to the Cayman's and went with an entirely open mind in regards to everything. I had no expectations for diving, the food, lodging etc, but from the moment I was welcomed at the resort I knew I had made the right decision. The front desk girls gleaming. Genuine, helpful and willing to go to any lengths to make a customer feel important. The bar staff were great as was the waiters and waitresses. One thing I noticed was there were no attitudes amoungst any of the workers there they all had good vibes.
As for the food. Simply Amazing! The five days I ate there are the best five consecutive days of eating in my life. I would highly recommend the MAP plan. All you can eat dishes prepared by a four star New York chef. Lamb, Veal, Mahi, Ribs, Snapper and the list goes on. It was the actual preparation, seasonings and sauces that put the food over the top. Incredible. It was kind of funny the way it worked. They would ring a bell for breakfast, lunch and dinner when it was time to eat. Kinda like being Pavlov's dog. You also received 2 free drinks per person per night and if you wanted more you were on your own.

As for the diving. I have the good and the not so good. The dive guides were all great. Professional, polite and very knowledgeable about their jobs and the areas they dive. They took their time helping you with your gear, set up, discussing dive profiles, where to go, what to look for etc. On the flip side they did not guide the groups on full dives. They would go into the water last and those who were willing to wait would, from my perspective, were led on a half tank tour of the dive site. I am sure this is the resort's policy. But, to have a boat full of divers(most boats had 13-15+ divers and one dive guide) and show them a picture of the reef and say ok go explore isnt right in my eyes. I really didn't mind that much and I just went with it, but I would think it makes sense to have at the very least one dive guide in the water for the full dive leading the group? I saw aborted dives because the divers went the wrong way and got lost, divers going too far and not making it back to the boat with enough air, missed landmarks(swim-throughs) because they weren't easily spotted etc. In my opinion for the prices that were paid every dive should have been guided and in smaller groups, and if people want to go off on their own so be it. This can be debated but it is just my 2c.

As far as the actual diving, the reefs and the walls at Bloody Bay was simply breathtaking. The colors and the health of the reef was so nice. The groupers were letting you scratch their chins, I guess they are getting ready to spawn in a few days, that was pretty neat. It seemed like alot of the reef inhabitants were on steroids. SOme highlights were: HUGE green morays the diameter of a telephone pole, huge lobster and some very large lionfish. Saw several good sized turtles, some swimming stingrays and on my last day a school of three caribbean reef sharks got up close. It was a nice way to end it. If you like pleny of BOTTOM time you will get it. You were allowed to dive until your air was gone. Most dives were 60 min which is perfect for me. Overall well worth the time and money. This place is a no brainer. Check it out. I will post pix shortly.

Last edited:
Nice report, thanks. Cayman is one of those areas I have yet to visit. Actually the half guided dive sounds perfect for how my wife and I like to dive. Give me a good briefing. Show me a couple things then I'll wave goodbye and we go off on our own. Meet ya at the boat when air gets low. I DON'T want to be part of a 15 diver cluster f... If that many are with the divemaster I just want the briefing and tell me where he is taking everyone so I can go the other way.

So, where exactly were you?
I stayed at the Little Cayman Resort.
I dont want this report to sound negative at all. I had a great time but if you are looking for 6-8 people per boat and a dive master it will not happen here. I think all the boats here are 40+ feet, so everyone goes on a boat and when that one gets to capacity which has to be 20+ divers the next boat goes. The nice thing about about the big boats are, getting to the reefs. It gets pretty rough and a small, say a 15ft foot panga, would be dangerous when the waves are up, which they were everyday I was there. When I go back I will stay here again.

Reactions: Jax
Thanks for the great review. I am headed for LCBR on Saturday!

I assume you flew over from Grand Cayman and I was wondering about your flight. It looks like there is about a 50 pound one bag restriction for checked bags and a 15 pound carry on limit. Did they actually weigh your carry on bag? It is my understanding that checked bags sometimes don't make it over with you, so I want to make sure to carry on all of my dive gear. Of course, that weighs more than 15 pounds though. Thanks for any info.

Thnx for sharing and that half guide does sound good

We had a similar experience last May when we had a group at the Little Cayman Beach Resort. We had an almost full boat of 16 divers and they still added 4 more divers. They said the boat held 20 divers comfortably. The boat was comfortable, but they gave us the slow bus, I mean boat. It would not have mattered but we were always being rushed to get back for lunch. The food was excellent!

The real problem with their valet service was stated by the OP. They only had a crew of two on the boat. One DM in the water for 20 divers. Who thinks this ratio is an excellent standard of operation?

By the time the crew of two got all 20 of the divers in the water, the divers that wanted a guide had a 20 min. guided dive. Then the DM would get back on board and start to load the 20 divers back on board.

If you are looking for valet service above water and need help getting in and out of the water, but not a DM. It is great.

IMO, they need two more crew members on their boats, so they can have at least 2 full time DM in the water for 20 divers.

I assume you flew over from Grand Cayman and I was wondering about your flight. It looks like there is about a 50 pound one bag restriction for checked bags and a 15 pound carry on limit. Did they actually weigh your carry on bag? It is my understanding that checked bags sometimes don't make it over with you, so I want to make sure to carry on all of my dive gear. Of course, that weighs more than 15 pounds though. Thanks for any info.

Cayman Airways express allows 55 lbs plus a 15 lb carryon. Overweight is charged at .50 per lb. Usually they weigh the checked bags and the carryons. Of course, there are always some people who want to get away from it all---and take it all with them. Not only are they charged substantial overweight fees, but they make it more difficult for other people's baggage to arrive with them. Saturday and Sunday are the busiest travel days, and it is not unusual for some baggage to arrive the following morning.. The cabin of a Twin Otter is quite small, which is the reason they will ask that you check a large carryon, even if it is within the 15 lb weight limit. It is unlikely that you will be able to carry on all of your dive gear. But, just relax. All will be well. They are very good about getting gear which must be left behind because of weight/space limitations to you at the earliest possible time.

We had a similar experience last May when we had a group at the Little Cayman Beach Resort. We had an almost full boat of 16 divers and they still added 4 more divers. They said the boat held 20 divers comfortably. The boat was comfortable, but they gave us the slow bus, I mean boat. It would not have mattered but we were always being rushed to get back for lunch. The food was excellent!

The real problem with their valet service was stated by the OP. They only had a crew of two on the boat. One DM in the water for 20 divers. Who thinks this ratio is an excellent standard of operation?

By the time the crew of two got all 20 of the divers in the water, the divers that wanted a guide had a 20 min. guided dive. Then the DM would get back on board and start to load the 20 divers back on board.

If you are looking for valet service above water and need help getting in and out of the water, but not a DM. It is great.

IMO, they need two more crew members on their boats, so they can have at least 2 full time DM in the water for 20 divers.

My son and I spent a week on Little Cayman in the summer of 2010 and stayed at Little Cayman Beach Resort, diving with Reef Divers. We had a fantastic time but it points our how diving style and requirements may affect the experience. We dived on our own and took off after getting in the water rather than waiting for the guided group. We rarely encountered other divers and had the freedom to dive our own profile from start to finish. Interestingly, unlike the OP, we were not told that we could exhaust our gas supply but that we should be back on the boat at an hour or slightly over to contribute to keeping the boat generally on time. We got in 18 dives in 5 1/2 days with a little over 19 hours of bottom time. If I has one thing on my wish list, it would be that Reef Divers offer 2 dives in the afternoon rather than one. I would return to Little Cayman in a heartbeat, great dive trip.

Those in the thread that want the option of a guided dive but with smaller groups and more flexibility may want to look at Ocean Frontiers on the East end of Grand Cayman. I spent 2 separate weeks at Compass Point in 2011. Boats take out no more than 12 divers and with 2 DMs, groups are no bigger than 4-6. Again, one has the option of guided or unguided. With OF, the policy really was that you could dive your gas limits. They offer 2 tank afternoon dives every day. With my adventuresome son, I got in 22 dives and just over 24 1/2 hours of bottom time. With my slightly less adventuresome wife, I got in 18 dives and 19 hours on the bottom. Compass Point/Ocean Frontiers is my current favorite.

Good diving, Craig

I think you can get away with more than 15lbs with the bag you carry onto the plane. But this is going to have to be smaller than a actual "carry-on" that you would use for a normal size plane. A 20X15X9 bag on cayman airways is a checked bag. So if you have anything this size and larger you are going to have to get it weighed and checked. You will be able to carry on something like the size of a normal backpack, which is what I did. You are going to have a blast! Have Fun!

Back
Top Bottom