Review little cayman resort feb 2-6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I didn't know about the 2 free drinks per night. Is that always the deal? Sounds just right to me. This is a minor question... what did you think of the shampoo/conditioner/soap/body wash in the rooms? I don't need fancy clothes, but I'm kinda picky as my hair needs all the help it can get after diving each day. I usually take my own favorite brand, but I want to keep the bags weight down, as I'm sure we will be at the limit due to dive gear.

The brand of shampoo/conditioner/soap/body wash in the rooms is RUSK. I have found that if I put conditioner on my hair before and after each dive it helps.

My first diving off Little Cayman was in 1989, while we were diving at the Brac we were offered a diving day at Little Cayman. What a treat, not to say that the Brac is bad at all but Little Cayman then was the best I ever saw in the Caribbean. Now as "hh" says it could use a rest. There are places that even though it might look good to you if you are a newer visitor, it used to be quite a bit more spectacular. It still is some of the best anywhere in the Caribbean but places like Bloody Bay have a significant pressure on them.

Well said. It is a mixed blessing that it is still so good in comparison to other destinations: it looks great to first time visitors, but us old greybeards reminisce about what it used to be like. I think I would still be more than a tad intimidated even today by the ~8ft long "Banana Cuda" that used to hang out circa 1990. Don't know if I ever got a photo of that beast.

In any case, this is part of the reason why I encourage SB divers to ask their DM to take them to some less "famous" dive sites on Little Cayman. Sure, there's a few formations which are arguably not-to-miss (although I hope that Marilyn's Cut isn't inundated inside with Lionfish), but there's also a lot of real gems that get passed by because people don't know their name...do your DM a favor and ask him for a site that he hasn't been to for awhile himself.

BTW, I was just reviewing the archives .. turns out that the news that Cayman DOE was seriously talking about "resting" 11 of the 22 moorings was way back in the Fall of 2006. And it never happened. I'd suspect that it was somewhat overtaken by the events of the Lionfish invasion, which requires divers to be present and actively hunt out the invaders on a regular basis. That's an interesting trade-off.

I remember when Little cayman put in electricity, it wasn't long and Little Cayman Resort came along. I was sad when they tarred the runway, but of course I was sad when they started jet service to the Brac too.

The Brac before Jets predates me by more than a few years. I think one of my favorite Sister Island memories has to be the year that we flew my wife's parents down to spend a week with us on the Brac, and as it turned out, the best set of connections for them involved the final legs being on Island Air. I had known that my Father-in-Law had over a million flying miles from his work, but it wasn't until after they arrived that we learned that the Island Air flight did a puddlejump stop-over on Little Cayman (the old grass strip) ... and more importantly, that was when my wife tells me "BUT MY DAD HATES TO FLY ...". Egads, we had sent him up & down that bumpy grass strip on Little Cayman in a five seater.

Jack did enjoy himself that week though - - I actually saw him wearing a pair of shorts, which I discovered later from my wife was also a quite noteworthy event. What Little Cayman (and the Brac too) still have is a dose of the safe old "Mayberry RFD" small town community feel. And the diving's still darn good too.

IMG_4248.jpg

A nice healthy ~2ft Nassau Grouper, Spring 2011 ... rising up to meet a DM with a lionfish spear to mooch from.

-hh

I didn't know about the 2 free drinks per night. Is that always the deal? Sounds just right to me.

No - it's not always the deal. That depends on the package you book. They offer packages with 3 dives per day or only the morning dives, also only breakfast and dinner or three meals /day. I recall seeing the package with 2 drinks included but don't recall if it was a seasonal special or a regular offering. They do always provide a welcome rum punch coupon, though.

Ahh, the adventure of the old days. I remember, full well, Island Air's flights into (and especially out of) Little Cayman. Five passengers (one next to the pilot), and gear crammed into every nook and cranny doing a carnival ride down the potholed grass strip. Then it was off to LCBR with their Shirley jet boats. VERY wet, throwing huge roostertails so that it seemed great things were happening. In actuality, the boats were not very fast. Southpoint in Key West had 2, and conventionally driven boats would blow right past them. Incidentally, both of Southpoint's jets were eventually changed to conventional drives, when the hulls cracked near the jet outlets and they sank.

The reef and walls at Little Cayman were magnificent back then. They are still better than most places in the Caribbean, but are gradually being "loved to death".

Last edited:
Wow.... thanks for this report.

The "half led diving" is awesome! We have not gone to Little Cayman Resort because we were afraid of just the opposite -- too many divers, all in a clump, following a DM around. Yuck. We MUCH prefer diving our own profile and getting away from other divers. That is what we love about liveaboards, Calif diving (no DM in water at all), and any destination with shore diving. I know some divers need a DM, we do not.

Now that I have read this report, I am putting LCR on our list.

robin

Robin, the ability to dive your own dive and not have to follow a group or a DM is what I dearly love about LC. My wife and I typically watch the briefing to know what the group is likely to do, then swim the opposite direction. With virtually no current on any of the dives, and all dives done from moored locations, there is no reason to have to go the same way as everybody else. On our last trip, it wasn't uncommon for us to only see maybe 2 or 3 pairs of divers in the distance at some point during the dive for a few minutes, but otherwise be alone for the entire dive until we returned to the boat for a safety stop.

That is why I can't understand how people end up with the "dive nazi" stories about the DMs there. We routinely dove 60-65 minutes and had a couple over 70 minutes, and never once had a DM say anything to us. In 3 trips to LC and somewhere around 50 dives there, I have seen a DM check somebody's computer once and seen them take somebody aside to be talked to once. It was the same diver, and it happened because they blew past the DM who was doing a safety stop and went straight to the surface. Turns out they were low on air, ascended too fast, and skipped their safety stop, despite the boat's having a regulator hanging at 15 feet for exactly that situation. Their computer was locked out because of the rapid ascent and skipped stop and the DM told them they were done for the day. The diver was less than happy and made sure everybody knew it, and I am sure they went online to talk about how the "dive nazi's were crimping his personal diving preferences". Beware about trying LC...you might not want to go anywhere else again!

Last edited:
Right on AD! My thoughts exactly. My wife and I usually find ourselves set up at the back of the boat. After the dive brief we are in and off we go. Sometimes we go in the direction that the DM suggested and sometimes we just go in the opposite direction and never see another diver until we are back under the boat. Folks will think that 16 to 18 folks on one of their boats makes for a crowded dive but that's not the case at all.

I agree Aggie.

If the divemasters are very strict about anything, it is about safety. Which is, of course, as it should be. For example, if a diver is locked out because of a computer violation, he/she ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY will sit out until the computer clears. I have witnessed this a number of times, but the most memorable is when a three-woman buddy team came on board with ALL of their computers beeping merrily. They sat by the pool for the next 2 days.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom