Review little cayman resort feb 2-6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We've been to LCBR twice (2010 and 2011) and will certainly return. I can't say enough about the place, and the style of diving works perfectly for me. The dive briefs and drawings of each dive site are about as comprehensive and clear as you could ask for, so most divers pair up and go their own way. Only occasionally did I wait for the DM, and then only because they had something to show me we spoke about in advance. If you want a full guided tour I can see where their practices would not be ideal, but it worked great for us and the folks we made friends with.

Weighing the carry-ons seems to be prevalent when the planes are full, especially on Saturdays. They have not weighed my carry-on yet. One thing to take into account is you can pack LIGHT! There is absolutely no reason to take more than your most casual apparel; shorts and a light shirt with flip flops are fine for dining and the bar - this is a laid back place. As such - we had plenty of room for our dive gear without approaching the weight limits, even with 2 u/w camara set-ups. I brought 3 pairs of socks, 2 pairs of shorts, 2 bathing suits, no long pants at all, a bunch of t-shirts, flip flops and the sneakers I wore on the plane and that was all that was needed for 8 nights!

We found that the place is filled with repeat visitors - and we have joined their ranks. And yes - the food is all one could ever ask for! Wholesome, tasty, plentiful, and varied. We can't wait to return in another year or so, and are coordinating with other guests we met there and want to dive with again.

I have been to the LCBR three times and will be going back with a group at the end of October. (We have below normal pricing if anyone wants to join us) Most of the divers in our group do their own thing but we have some who like to follow around the DM. If you are a person who wants to follow a DM, then just get in the water last and wait at the surface or just below it for the DM to get in. Every time we have been they get in right after the last diver. They were usually in the water about 35 to 40 minutes. What I like about LCBR diving is you have total freedom to go and do your own thing. If they are going right you can go left, etc. I don't ever remember them not covering the basic area they show you on the dive brief.

OK, I just have to weigh in here. We have been going to LCBR since 1996 and after the first time have absolutely fell in love with Little Cayman. There isn't a thing about LC or LCBR that I don't love. Sure sometimes we are first in the water and do our own dive and maybe midway start following the DM. There are other times we want to dive with the DM. Reef Divers is all about guest satisfaction and your diving experience. LCBR, likewise.

With all that being said, we have a trip June 9 - 16 with a few open spots. This is a group of older divers who aren't techy and meet every year for the pleasure of diving the Caribbean. If anyone is interested please contact me!

(about LCBR)

As for the diving. I have the good and the not so good. The dive guides were all great. Professional, polite and very knowledgeable about their jobs and the areas they dive. They took their time helping you with your gear, set up, discussing dive profiles, where to go, what to look for etc. On the flip side they did not guide the groups on full dives. They would go into the water last and those who were willing to wait would, from my perspective, were led on a half tank tour of the dive site. I am sure this is the resort's policy.

It is. Basically, the policy follows CIWOA guidelines to have a DM in the water (and one topside with the boat) and to provide the 'Valet' aspect, the diving DM can't go in until all the customers have splashed...and then needs to be back out when the first customers start to return - - basically, a "LIFO" (Last In, First Out). If you figure it takes 20 minutes to get everyone in and 20 out, for an hour long dive that just leaves 20 minutes where everyone is in the water .. hence why their "half dive" duration is typically only 20 minutes or so.

But, to have a boat full of divers(most boats had 13-15+ divers and one dive guide) and show them a picture of the reef and say ok go explore isnt right in my eyes. I really didn't mind that much and I just went with it, but I would think it makes sense to have at the very least one dive guide in the water for the full dive leading the group?

There's not necessarily a simple yes/no answer to your question. Its a question whose variables include: (a) the divers' experience levels; (b) personal preference; (c) dive conditions.

For Little Cayman, this isn't drift dive territory off of a live boat where a group really should stick together. There's basically no current, so the boat is moored and divers are very free to choose to go in pretty much any direction. Personally, I usually prefer to be my own rather than clustered with a gaggle of a dozen other divers.

I saw aborted dives because the divers went the wrong way and got lost, divers going too far and not making it back to the boat with enough air, missed landmarks(swim-throughs) because they weren't easily spotted etc. In my opinion for the prices that were paid every dive should have been guided and in smaller groups, and if people want to go off on their own so be it. This can be debated but it is just my 2c.

Understood. Reef Divers usually gives very good briefings (with the whiteboard 'map' too), so a lot of what you saw I'd probably say were...how to put this politely? Ah! "...divers who need more skill development." :D A friend's observation (a stereotype, but unfortunately as true as not) is that it seemed to always be a lake diver from Texas who get lost.

A good rule of thumb for any new dive destination is to hang out with the DM for the first day or two to get a handle on local dive conditions before you decide if you want to head out on your own.

As far as the actual diving, the reefs and the walls at Bloody Bay was simply breathtaking. The colors and the health of the reef was so nice. The groupers were letting you scratch their chins, I guess they are getting ready to spawn in a few days, that was pretty neat.

Yes, its a nice stretch of sights, although IMO (my first Little Cayman dive was in the 1980s) they are overdived and need some recovery time. Insofar as the groupers, that's behavior modification that's been around for decades. A bit over 25 years ago, it was fish feeding by divers which started it; more contemporarily, it has been a grouper+diver interaction to help them hunt for squirrelfish. The good news is that the Cayman government has also banned fishing for grouper while they're spawning, which has really improved their numbers locally.

If you like pleny of BOTTOM time you will get it. You were allowed to dive until your air was gone. Most dives were 60 min which is perfect for me.

Well...there have been some comments over the years that their dive plan is usually for only 60 minutes of bottom time (to get the boat back in time for the hotel's lunch). It comes down to a question of how good your SAC is and how shallow one stays. I've been occasionally guilty of doing a FILO (First In, Last Out) to get in more than an hour when that bothered me; these days I just come up with 1400psi or whatever.

Overall well worth the time and money. This place is a no brainer. Check it out. I will post pix shortly.

It is a nice place.

...I think all the boats here are 40+ feet, so everyone goes on a boat and when that one gets to capacity which has to be 20+ divers the next boat goes. The nice thing about about the big boats are, getting to the reefs. It gets pretty rough and a small, say a 15ft foot panga, would be dangerous when the waves are up, which they were everyday I was there. When I go back I will stay here again.

Their boats are all Newton 42's or 46's. When they first opened back in 1993, they started with a pair of Rob Shirley "Pro 42" jetboats, which were utterly unsuitable for the bluewater conditions that Little Cayman sees, particularly on the northside in the winter...these hulls earned the nickname "Vomit Comet", although they actually weren't that fast at all once you put a rack of tanks and a couple of divers on them. On top of everything else, they were also a very wet ride in non-flat sea conditions (ie, nearly every day in the Sister islands) and being rudderless jetboats, they were more vulnerable to crosswind crabbing .. (which was learned on their day of delivery: #1 hit the reef trying to enter South Hole Sound).

We had a similar experience last May when we had a group at the Little Cayman Beach Resort. We had an almost full boat of 16 divers and they still added 4 more divers. They said the boat held 20 divers comfortably. The boat was comfortable, but they gave us the slow bus, I mean boat. It would not have mattered but we were always being rushed to get back for lunch. The food was excellent!

Wait until you see Kona Honu divers in Hawaii...I've been part of a crowd of ~30 stuffed onboard the same sized Newton diveboat...

-hh

We had a similar experience last May when we had a group at the Little Cayman Beach Resort. We had an almost full boat of 16 divers and they still added 4 more divers. They said the boat held 20 divers comfortably. The boat was comfortable, but they gave us the slow bus, I mean boat. It would not have mattered but we were always being rushed to get back for lunch. The food was excellent!

The real problem with their valet service was stated by the OP. They only had a crew of two on the boat. One DM in the water for 20 divers. Who thinks this ratio is an excellent standard of operation?

By the time the crew of two got all 20 of the divers in the water, the divers that wanted a guide had a 20 min. guided dive. Then the DM would get back on board and start to load the 20 divers back on board.

If you are looking for valet service above water and need help getting in and out of the water, but not a DM. It is great.

IMO, they need two more crew members on their boats, so they can have at least 2 full time DM in the water for 20 divers.

Thanks for the review. This was pretty much my impression (also prefer minimal DM guidance - 1/2 tank tour OK with me to find certain stuff). Beaver Divers, putting 20 on the boat seemed excessive to me. We had only 8-10 on our boats. Perhaps they were just trying to keep your group together (but why add 4 more???). Amazing diving and food!

Great review and following commentary! I will be going the LCBR on the 24th. Good to know the food is great, what kinds of stuff do they have for breakfast and lunch? Also thanks for the heads up about the DM and dive groups on the boat. I will be looking for a buddy as soon as I arrive. I like taking pictures, so hopefully someone like-minded. Over last summer when I was in Utila, the one thing that irked me is when you are with a group and someone is nervous, badly weighted and sucking back air like crazy and they call the dive for everyone. I want to make sure I dive with someone I can take my time with and not feel pressured to stay with a group. Besides, it's much more relaxing than being kicked in the face.

My first diving off Little Cayman was in 1989, while we were diving at the Brac we were offered a diving day at Little Cayman. What a treat, not to say that the Brac is bad at all but Little Cayman then was the best I ever saw in the Caribbean. Now as "hh" says it could use a rest. There are places that even though it might look good to you if you are a newer visitor, it used to be quite a bit more spectacular. It still is some of the best anywhere in the Caribbean but places like Bloody Bay have a significant pressure on them.
I remember when Little cayman put in electricity, it wasn't long and Little Cayman Resort came along. I was sad when they tarred the runway, but of course I was sad when they started jet service to the Brac too.

Thanks for your review. I'm reading everything I can find as we are looking forward to our first trip to LCBR in April. I like a guide that can show us the little things we wouldn't find on our own (seahorses? the coolest swim-through? the reef sharks? pet groupers?), so maybe we will try to be among the last to enter for some of the dives. On the other hand, it's also fun to take it at our own pace and take pictures of the things we like best without a big group bumping into each other or scaring the wildlife away. It's not a drift dive, so hopefully no big deal to surface swim to the boat if we aren't where we mean to be at the end of the dive. If we're the last to enter, will we still get our full 60 min underwater? If we then did the first half with the DM, then look around on our own for the balance of the time, I think we would like that.

If we're the last to enter, will we still get our full 60 min underwater? If we then did the first half with the DM, then look around on our own for the balance of the time, I think we would like that.

You should get the full time allotted. My experience at the LCBR has been that since the first dive can be a deeper dive, they tell you on the first dive you have a time limit of 50 minutes and the second dive you get 60 minutes. They don't sit there with a stop watch so it's no big deal but in general they like for folks to stay close to the schedule.

If you follow the DM then what they usually do is go over the area they have drawn on the board during the dive and then bring you back to the boat where they get out and then you can just hang in that area for your remaining time. What I usually do is just spend that time going in the other direction of the dive but just stay reasonably close to the area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom