Review little cayman resort feb 2-6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fares from Houston to GC in the $275-350 RT range used to be easy to find when Continental and Cayman Air both had non-stops. Once Cayman Air quit flying to Houston, the Continental/United price pretty much immediately went up to $450, and right now they want $668. As a comparison, Somebody flying from Dallas to GC can get flights coneecting through Charlotte as a United code share or through Miami on American and will pay $462. So fuel costs are not the explanation. There is no way that it is possible that flights connecting through Charlotte or Miami from Dallas will use less fuel than a direct flight from Houston. But United wants to charge $200 more to fly from Houston simply because they know they have a captive audience and that we don't have other carriers to compete against them. That is why United is trying to play hardball with Houston Airport Services to keep Southwest from developing an international terminal at Houston's Hobby Airport. If Southwest starts flying to the Caribbean and Latin America from Houston, it will take a big bite out of United's monopoly fares they currently charge Houstonians.

The major airlines did the same thing in Detroit. When Spirit flew from DTW to GCM, you could easily find non-stop flights for under $300 r/t. After they dropped the route, most flights nearly doubled in price no matter how many stops. The prices went up the day Spirit announced they were dropping the route.

We're almost ready to go. We will be at LCBR Saturday.
I think the weather forecasters are predicting strong NE winds? ??? Will the dive boats go if it's too rough? Do they have sheltered dive sites? My husband gets sea sick. I guess we better pack extra Bonine. Will we will need to rent wetsuits? I usually prefer to dive in my uninsulated lycra skin. I think the water is showing 81.3F measured at a depth of 15ft.

NE winds are no problem. If the north (BBMP) side is too rough, they will dive on the south side of the island. The south side has some very nice sites, especially the wall sites. Plan to dive in whatever suits you use at 81 degrees in Fl. Very, very seldom are there any significant thermoclines at recreational depths at LC.

I agree about diving on the south side. About 25% of the trips we've made to LCBR we've experienced north winds. There are some good dive sites on the south, but there just aren't as many. I think currents probably come with winds too so there are a couple of reasons to stay south during a norther.

I always dive with a 3mm full suit. Years ago I got tired of trying to predict the water temperature and surface air temperature. Part of the equation is how warm you are before and after the dive. If it is a windy and overcast day I feel much better in my 3mm suit. I don't ever recall thinking "I'm just too warm" diving!

Enjoy your trip.

Back
Top Bottom