PADI E-Cards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What was the name of Michael Douglas's character in "Wall Street" ? Can't remember but he has to be dancing a jig to this.

Gordon Gekko. From the Wikipedia entry as of now:

“ Greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right. Greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures, the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms; greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge, has marked the upward surge of mankind and greed, you mark my words, will not only save Teldar Paper, but that other malfunctioning corporation called the U.S.A.[19]

Sounds like PADI is going to save America! It also said he didn't say the words "Greed is good," as a literal quote.

Richard.

No luck with PADI actually fixing the app/ecard issue I have. Couple email exchanges, nothing but form letter back. Talked live to a customer service agent that tried to explain that they see the charges as a use lic that applies to the specific mobile OS, so you have to purchase diff ecard lic by OS - tried to tie it to lic for other software practices in the industry, but that dog doesnt hunt for anyone that understands sw lic today. Even worse I think is that really don't see the ecard charge as just the cost to maintain access thru their custom browser app to access their database, this is all you're really buying, why would that be tied to the MOS. In the end only remedy was to have PADI refund the charges. I've sent the formal email request to them, I'm assuming this is the end of it and they'll refund my costs per our discussion. If they don't, I'll come back to the board and let everyone know, but I can't imagine that will happen.

Bottom line, if you want a PADI ecard and you only want it on the primary smart phone you carry, buy it, download it directly to that phone and don't expect to be able to transfer it unless you have another device with the same mobile OS. If you stick with one family of device like Android, RIM or iOS, you'll be fine, but I don't think that covers most folks that would want the ecard in the first place. For now, I'd say stick with plastic till they get this figured out or make it cheap enough to be reasonable to buy multiple MOS versions.

It's not hard at all but it will affect your SAC and trim if carried improperly.
Card carrying is no longer DIR. :wink:

SO are they now issuing cards for that? Get your "no DIR" specialty e card.

SO are they now issuing cards for that? Get your "no DIR" specialty e card.

I'm on board for the first class. I think I've already completed the in water part and one look in the back of my van should be sufficient for the rest of the course.

Got a reply from them...form letter.

Dear Butch,

I appreciate your taking the time to communicate with PADI Americas regarding the PADI eCard™. It is unfortunate that this new product did not meet your expectations.

Please know that purchasing and using the PADI eCard is completely optional. Your traditional plastic certification card is (and will remain) valid proof of your PADI certification worldwide.

If you ever need to replace your PADI certification card, either due to loss or simply a desire to update an older card, you have two options for replacement:

1. reorder a traditional (plastic) version of the card
2. reorder an eCard.

You may reorder either version of your card through any PADI Dive Center or Resort or by visiting padi.com. The replacement card fee is the same for both versions.

You may, however, enjoy some of the specific benefits of the PADI eCard. These include the convenience of carrying and accessing all of your cards digitally, as well as a special embedded QR code that dive centers, resorts and instructors can use to verify the certification card against the PADI database. This feature helps prevent anyone from obtaining and altering your digital card for their use.

I sincerely hope that this new product does not diminish your overall enjoyment of diving. After all, that’s what it’s truly about — the opportunity to escape, explore and experience the underwater world, then share it with others. Thank you for choosing PADI as your dive training organization and I hope that this new product does not deter you from continuing training with the more than 6000 PADI Dive Centers and Resort and 135,000 PADI Professionals around the globe.

Sincerely,

Bob Coleman
Vice President of Sales and Field Services
PADI Americas

and here's what I wrote back....

Dear Bob,
I currently have 8 certifications. That means that , at bare minimum, it would cost me $296 just to have copies of my cards on my phone. How on earth can you not think that’s ridiculous???

While this, in no way, diminishes my joy of diving, or my quest for knowledge, I will be finishing Master Scuba Diver (which is almost complete), and then I’ll be washing my hands of PADI and training under another organization. While I’m sure this in no way will change PADI policies, it’s really all that I can do. Hopefully, down the road, you’ll see the err of your ways and make adjustments to better support the people that have supported you.

Regards, Butch *********

I received the exact same form letter, of course it didnt come from Bob, looks like it was sent by someone named Mal Fousek for what that is worth. And in no way answered the question I had asked.

Got a reply from them...form letter.

Dear Butch,

I appreciate your taking the time to communicate with PADI Americas regarding the PADI eCard™. It is unfortunate that this new product did not meet your expectations.

Please know that purchasing and using the PADI eCard is completely optional. Your traditional plastic certification card is (and will remain) valid proof of your PADI certification worldwide.

If you ever need to replace your PADI certification card, either due to loss or simply a desire to update an older card, you have two options for replacement:

1.reorder a traditional (plastic) version of the card
2.reorder an eCard.

You may reorder either version of your card through any PADI Dive Center or Resort or by visiting padi.com. The replacement card fee is the same for both versions.

You may, however, enjoy some of the specific benefits of the PADI eCard. These include the convenience of carrying and accessing all of your cards digitally, as well as a special embedded QR code that dive centers, resorts and instructors can use to verify the certification card against the PADI database. This feature helps prevent anyone from obtaining and altering your digital card for their use.

I sincerely hope that this new product does not diminish your overall enjoyment of diving. After all, that’s what it’s truly about — the opportunity to escape, explore and experience the underwater world, then share it with others. Thank you for choosing PADI as your dive training organization and I hope that this new product does not deter you from continuing training with the more than 6000 PADI Dive Centers and Resort and 135,000 PADI Professionals around the globe.

Sincerely,

Bob Coleman
Vice President of Sales and Field Services
PADI Americas

I got the same standard BULL$#@T response. PADI does not care. The big picture, so what if they loose a few there are plenty more that will pay that kind of price for those e-cards. You win some, you loose some.

Sounds like a good reason to move away from PADI in all my future courses... even though I would never use ecards this is just ridiculous.

It seems to me that PADI never really expected people to replace all of their current cards with eCards. Most of what I've read in the marketing information on PADI's site tends to lean towards either getting an eCard instead of or along with a plastic card for each new certification. They also are marketing the eCard as a replacement for a lost card.

I think they underestimated how many existing, plastic card holders would want the cards just because they have smartphones. Had they rolled this out as a one-time $30-$40 total charge to have all of your cards as eCards, I would bet they would've: 1) Sold plenty of eCards and 2) Taken much less grief.

Hopefully this will evolve and they will make corrections for existing card holders.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom