I am certified.....now what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Congrats on your cert. If you ever are up north (Redding CA) look me up. I can take you guys out to Wiskeytown Lake. I have alot of dives there and know the lake very well, vis alot of times is around 30'. Its a little cold right now but another few months and it will be good. Also if you have a chance, do some warm water diving "Maui" is my favorite, im going again in about a week.

So my girlfriend and I went through the PADI open water certification class at Aquatic Dreams in Modesto and we did our open water dives in Lake Tulloch. Now that we are certified we are not quite sure where to go from there...

I'd recommend a trip someplace warm and calm (Bonaire, Roatan, Hawaii, Cozumel ) to get comfortable using your gear underwater with some easy conditions while the skills are still relatively fresh in your head. 99.9% of the resort dive operations have a divemaster in the water with every boat. If you tell them you are new, they will pay even more attention. Once you get comfortable with some easy, warm water boat diving, the learning curve of cold water surf entries with poor visibility will be much easier to manage since you won't have the added apprehension of "do I really know what I'm doing and do I trust my gear?"

Cheers,
Jon

Wow! Thank you everyone for being so helpful!
I think that what the best bet is for us to see if my dive instructors will take us out or join the dive club in Modesto and go when they go.
I don't think that a trip to warm waters is quite in the college student budget right now but that is an excellent option.
I honestly didn't expect to get this large of a response, but you showed me. :)
I will let you know what ends up happening and let you know how the first dive goes. :)

I don't know your area, but for an overall look at 'What can I do now,' I recommend the Certified Diver's Handbook. I bought one and enjoyed the read. Introduced a range of places in U.S. waters, and gave pointers on diving in some different conditions.

Richard.

As Instructors in Monterey we strongly suggest you hire a Instructor to teach you to dive in the ocean the first time...say hi to Bonnie for us!

I agree with everything that has been said so far. Joining a dive club will greatly increase the chance that you will continue to dive. The club doesn't even have to be local. I belong to a dive club (Sacramento area) where we have members from the Bay Area. Those members may not be able to attend the club meetings, but they attend many of the club events. I also think it's a great suggestion to hire an instructor or dive master to show you how to dive the ocean. Ocean diving can be very different from lake diving. BTW - once you do ocean diving, you probably will not want to dive a lake again. :D As far as dive site, I'd recommend Breakwater for your first dive. It's relatively easy dive. If you dive on the weekend, there are a lot of other people around to help if you need help. The only bad thing is that vis can go from good to bad quickly because the number of newbies diving breakwater. Last - I don't know when you got your certification, but the ocean can be much colder than the lake.

I second refugee. Though I've been fairly dry for a while (going back to school for my BA in Anthropology, which will eventually turn into an underwater archaeology degree, so for the moment, I can't even afford to fill my tanks, let alone get them hydro-ed or buy enough gas to get to the water) I have done many dives at Breakwater and it is the only place that I have ever felt comfortable enough with to do a solo dive. As far as what someone said earlier about getting a few dives in before you take an advanced class, that's just hooey. The first time that I went diving after my OW class was to take my advanced class. You will learn how to navigate in near zero viz (which happens quite often in Nor Cal diving, you do a night dive, which is both terrifying and incredibly exhilarating, and you do a deep dive where you have the opportunity to experience narcosis in a supervised situation to minimize the danger. All in all, the advanced course makes you a better diver, you gain crucial experience and knowledge, and it's a TON of fun!!! You definitely want to get an instructor to give you an orientation of the site and show you how to do a surf entry, and since you're probably going to have to pay that instructor for his services anyway, you might as well do it as an advanced class. I highly recomend Bamboo Reef Dive center. They're nice people, they've been in the area for forever, and their air tastes great. Oh one more thing, make sure you have at least a 7mm wetsuit, Monterey water ranges from 50-64ish degrees F (i.e. it's effing COLD) and the time of year with the coldest water is about June/July (if memory serves, as I said, it's been a couple years). The warmest water is found in about October-ish... but as I said "warm" is very relative. a quick tip: before you put your mask over your eyes, dunk your face in the water. the cold on your face will cut down on the initial "shock" of your initial submersion and it actually helps with air consumption.

Back
Top Bottom