Introducing 2OldDivers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... how is the diving from San Carlos? Any shore diving available? Very nice of you to offer a tour, careful though we might take you up on it as we go to Tucson just to get some city life once in a while.
Plenty of shore diving entry points and the sea is fairly calm there so not a lot of surf to deal with. We have done shore and boat diving. Two dive shops in town. A 220' ship was intentionally sunk a few years ago to create a reef and dive site and the government just sank another, slightly smaller ship a few weeks ago.

Plenty of shore diving entry points and the sea is fairly calm there so not a lot of surf to deal with. We have done shore and boat diving. Two dive shops in town. A 220' ship was intentionally sunk a few years ago to create a reef and dive site and the government just sank another, slightly smaller ship a few weeks ago.
Sounds good we will try to get down there.

Maybe it's just my wild thoughts and imagination. Buy or rent a house in Malaysia or Indonesia and then just dive. The coral is beautiful and pretty fish are abundant. Things are dirt cheap there so on a daily basis it's okay to get by. But health care is a problem.

Living the dream.

Looking to this thread for inspiration

A couple of semi-old but feeling-young divers here that are hoping to stay around south Florida for a bit and continue to dive the many nice local sites. Perhaps one day venture further afield, no doubt the cost of living and quality of diving can be much better elsewhere.

Good luck with your planning and please share your experience :)

Hello, We are glad to hear you are enjoying your retirement! I have lots of questions as Curacao keeps coming up in our research. Which area do you think is best for housing as it relates to closeness of shore diving and quality of life? Are you using Basic health insurance (BVZ) or private insurance? Lots more but will hold off.. Thanks
First off, the island is not that big and you can get from one end to the other driving in about an hour and a half most days. There is good diving on both the east and west ends on the south side. We live in Jan Sofat which is near Spanish Water, Caracasbaai, Tugboat and Directors Bay. I don’t know what your housing expectations are but there is a broad range of home prices in various neighborhoods. If you don’t mind some driving you can get to just about any dive spot within an hour. let me know if you have specific questions. I am happy to help. As for health insurance, we are pensionados and have SVB which is the local provider. It has been better than anything we have experienced in the US (it is easy if your a US citizen). We chose a gated community for the privacy and the ability to stroll the neighborhood without traffic and stray dogs.

First off, the island is not that big and you can get from one end to the other driving in about an hour and a half most days. There is good diving on both the east and west ends on the south side. We live in Jan Sofat which is near Spanish Water, Caracasbaai, Tugboat and Directors Bay. I don’t know what your housing expectations are but there is a broad range of home prices in various neighborhoods. If you don’t mind some driving you can get to just about any dive spot within an hour. let me know if you have specific questions. I am happy to help. As for health insurance, we are pensionados and have SVB which is the local provider. It has been better than anything we have experienced in the US (it is easy if your a US citizen). We chose a gated community for the privacy and the ability to stroll the neighborhood without traffic and stray dogs.
Thanks for the info we will poke around and come back with some specific questions. Cheers!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom