Introducing 2OldDivers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2oldDivers

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello from 2OldDivers! We are looking forward to researching here and sharing some SCUBA stories. We are going to retire as soon as we sell our house, then move to a place to dive until we are no longer able (hopefully a very long time). Need to find a place in the world where we can shore dive a couple of times a week and once a month do a boat dive ($$ permitting). Hoping to get some ideas from scubaboarders experiences. We are both instructors (PADI - MSDT) but do not plan on teaching in our retirement - employment makes visas a bit trickier. We are open to anyplace warm, with reasonable crime rate and health care. We have lived and worked (Instructing SCUBA) on Roatan for 3 years in the early 2000's but do not want to go back there. Cheers!

Costa Rica might be a consideration.... Or maybe Curacao or Bonaire.

Congratulations on your impending retirement!!! (I'm nowhere near the golden window of retiring, but, it's never too early to dream...) I'm also very curious how the retired folk in this board rate the quality of life in the places they have dived in so I'm looking forward to watching this post.

My homeland seems to be a great option for expats from the US. The Philippines is definitely cheap and definitely very warm. I have yet to go back and dive our shores. I'm just basing this assumption off of the amount of foreigners I saw that seem to live wherever I went near the water.

Thanks for your thoughts! We have been looking at Both Curacao and the Philippines, very different locations but worth the effort to research!

Hello from 2OldDivers! We are looking forward to researching here and sharing some SCUBA stories. We are going to retire as soon as we sell our house, then move to a place to dive until we are no longer able (hopefully a very long time). Need to find a place in the world where we can shore dive a couple of times a week and once a month do a boat dive ($$ permitting). Hoping to get some ideas from scubaboarders experiences. We are both instructors (PADI - MSDT) but do not plan on teaching in our retirement - employment makes visas a bit trickier. We are open to anyplace warm, with reasonable crime rate and health care. We have lived and worked (Instructing SCUBA) on Roatan for 3 years in the early 2000's but do not want to go back there. Cheers!
Hello, we are also a bit older and retired. We have lived in Curacao for over two years now. We do shore dives several times a week and enjoy it here.

Where in NM are you? My wife and I live near Taos and have a house in San Carlos about 5 hour drive south of Tucson on the Sea of Cortez. I'd be glad to show you around there if you ever cared to check it out.

Hopefully I'm already doing as you plan. I moved to Christiansted, St Croix. I've done three shore dives, and have another planned for tomorrow morning. My friend Google has given me 9 different shore dive reports, although for the most part they all start with a 200 yard swim out. Entering through the surf hasn't been prohibitive. I've also done 2 boat trips out of C'stad harbor. There are a good number of operators with boats, and several more shore based shops. There is an active dive club - CRABBS - next meeting is 9 Apr 2024.

Hello, we are also a bit older and retired. We have lived in Curacao for over two years now. We do shore dives several times a week and enjoy it here.
Hello, We are glad to hear you are enjoying your retirement! I have lots of questions as Curacao keeps coming up in our research. Which area do you think is best for housing as it relates to closeness of shore diving and quality of life? Are you using Basic health insurance (BVZ) or private insurance? Lots more but will hold off.. Thanks

Where in NM are you? My wife and I live near Taos and have a house in San Carlos about 5 hour drive south of Tucson on the Sea of Cortez. I'd be glad to show you around there if you ever cared to check it out.
We are outside of Datil - middle of nowhere :). I have been to Guaymas/San Carlos in the mid 90's for a couple of days. We have dived on the other side of the Sea of Cortez, La Paz, Cabo Pulmo, and just north of Los Barriles, how is the diving from San Carlos? Any shore diving available? Very nice of you to offer a tour, careful though we might take you up on it as we go to Tucson just to get some city life once in a while.

Hopefully I'm already doing as you plan. I moved to Christiansted, St Croix. I've done three shore dives, and have another planned for tomorrow morning. My friend Google has given me 9 different shore dive reports, although for the most part they all start with a 200 yard swim out. Entering through the surf hasn't been prohibitive. I've also done 2 boat trips out of C'stad harbor. There are a good number of operators with boats, and several more shore based shops. There is an active dive club - CRABBS - next meeting is 9 Apr 2024.
Wow! Sounds like you are starting out retirement on the right track. How long have you been on St. Croix? Any tips for relocating, things you wish you would have done differently?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom