How scuba fins should fit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amphigorey

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Almost every pair of fins I've tried has been painful. How can I judge the fit of the fins?

Usually, the muscle across the top of my foot starts to ache partway through my surface swim. It's quite uncomfortable. I switch between swimming forward and swimming on my back to use different muscles, but it doesn't really help that much and it means that I'm pretty slow. It's frustrating, because I don't get tired from the swim itself, and my leg muscles can do just fine; it's my feet that give out first. I've also worn fins where all the pressure was concentrated on the ball of my foot, and it felt like I wasn't getting power from my legs, just the ends of my feet.

Should this be happening? Is it the fins, or is it me? Where should the pressure be? I have reasonably strong foot and leg muscles from ballroom dancing. I also have small feet (5 women's), and I wear extra small 5 mm dive boots.

I dive in Monterey, which requires long surface swims, so I'd really like to get a good pair of fins that don't hurt my feet. Any suggestions?

The foot pocket should be snug all over with out any movement. If you move your foot vertically or laterally, your foot should not move within the foot pocket. It should't feel like they're in a vice grip as well. I dive in Monterey as well and I have noticed this of new divers. They perform their surface swims as if they're racing against Mark Spitz or Janet Evans. Swimming on your back is the most efficient manner, as your fins are completely submerged. Your fin strokes should be slow and deliberate.

Also, your fins maybe too stiff for you. What fins are you using? My very first pair of fins, the Tusa Imprex, were far too stiff for me and cause a fair amount of leg fatigue/ache. The Mares Avanti Quattros weren't as stiff but were far more efficient and didn't cause the fatigue that I experienced with the Tusa Imprex. No, the stiffest fins are not always the best. The ones that move with efficiently without fatigue are the ones best for you. Don't want to start a Split Fin war but they are easier on your legs than regular paddle fins. You could consider those as well.

I vote for Avanti Quattros- good price, not too heavy, efficient.

It's difficult to find try before you buy fins. A long route but one that should ultimately be successful is to start buying on ebay, trying them a couple of times and seeing which ones work for you.

The fin pocket at the top, should reach all the way up to just before the ankle. With extra-small feet, you may need to go to a big diving shop which caters to children as well- or try the ebay route, buying and re-selling until you get a match. Then try to find them new so you have another pair after 10 years as a backup.

I vote for a scooter! Bare that, fit is important. My fins are so locked to my feet I have to pull really hard and wiggle them to get them off. I can feel the difference between a thick pair and a thin pair of base layer socks, and hate the slop created by thin socks. My shoes that I wear, Chuck Taylors, are fairly stiff to disperse the fin load. About the only fin I would change my Jets for are Hollis F-1's which have a longer foot pocket.

What kind of fins (Splits or paddles?), and how stiff are the soles of your booties? Soft soles will wear your feet out much faster.

Otherwise keep pushing yourself and you will get stronger. In other words go dive more.

Oh wait, I have another simple solution...go boat diving.

When you get a drysuit you will be noticing how stiff the soles of the feet are.

i bought a pair of velocity x3s and my whole ankle wasn't inside the foot pocket, felt very weird during the dive.

I have X-Large Quattros for a US 13 foot. I'm not a big guy- 5'9 but I have long narrow feet so the foot pockets are cavernous around my boots. I have worn M sized (open foot) fins and there was a lot of pressure on the top of my foot. The fins bent like paper so it wasn't exactly painful but I could imagine if they were stiff, it would have been excruciating.

They look weird but I hear good things about Force fins which you may find easily on ebay

I haven't bought fins yet, so I've just been using rental fins, which have all been paddle style. It's possible they're too stiff. I'd like to try split fins, but I haven't seen them available for rent, and I don't want to buy them before trying them. My dive boots are thick and have thick, stiff soles.

I'll keep an eye out for split fins and the Quattros. I really want comfortable fins!

Almost every pair of fins I've tried has been painful. How can I judge the fit of the fins?

Usually, the muscle across the top of my foot starts to ache partway through my surface swim. It's quite uncomfortable. I switch between swimming forward and swimming on my back to use different muscles, but it doesn't really help that much and it means that I'm pretty slow. It's frustrating, because I don't get tired from the swim itself, and my leg muscles can do just fine; it's my feet that give out first. I've also worn fins where all the pressure was concentrated on the ball of my foot, and it felt like I wasn't getting power from my legs, just the ends of my feet.

Should this be happening? Is it the fins, or is it me? Where should the pressure be? I have reasonably strong foot and leg muscles from ballroom dancing. I also have small feet (5 women's), and I wear extra small 5 mm dive boots.

I dive in Monterey, which requires long surface swims, so I'd really like to get a good pair of fins that don't hurt my feet. Any suggestions?

There are 2 entirely separate issues being discussed for you.....the fin stiffness and how this effects the muscles of your legs and dorsal muscles of your feet.......and the potential problems your feet may be having due to high or low arch, or other fit issue which will have little to do with the blade of whatever fins you chose.

If there is plenty of room in the foot pocket, I would try a high end full length arch support, as support is totally lacking in all fins, and some people are far more suseptible to issues caused by the foot pocket compressing their feet, and causing cramping. I would try this, no matter what fin you go with.

Also, of all the fin companies, Force Fin has done the most to address the pain in the upper part of the foot and ankle some people have.....I suggest you find someone who will let you try a pair, and see if they make a big difference. They are radically different from any fin you have so far tried. Go on the Force Fin forum on scubaboard, and see if any of the people on it are near you, and would let you try a pair.

It sounds like the problem is all in that you are using the stiffer rental fins. If you can find a store that will rent you some higher end ones you will see a differance immediatly. It doesn's have to be a split or paddle fin. You will see its easier just switching to a better fin. If you dont want to go the high end priced fins, try the scubapro jet sports. Its a great midrange fin that will give you power you need for the surface and its made in XS for your smaller boots

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom