How scuba fins should fit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have you tried spring straps and larger size boots ???...As the others have said try different style fins and combo's of boot size and springs-vs-straps...Springs tend to 'flex' more, but not every one likes them....The tips of your toes should not be touching the end of the fin pocket...You should be able to wiggle your toes comfortably inside the boot and fin...With the straps properly adjusted [or the right size springs] it may feel as if the fins will fall off, but they won't....When things are too tight you'll get toe and muscle cramps...With the right size boot/fin the water will fill the space and act as a cushion......It's a balancing act between too loose and too tight...Just like dancing shoes......

It is probably is a combination of poor fitting booties and fins.

First the booties. I like stiff thick soles for hiking our coast, but they can be ill fitting and lack comfort = cramps. Go to a few shops and try on booties. Look for a better fitting perhaps softer flexible sole with a heel fin strap positioner. For hiking our coast, I wear old hiking boots or tennis shoes, and leave them in a plastic bag with a note so no one takes them.

Once you get the correct bootie (Just like you get the best fitting shoe), go and try on fins. I can not suggest any brands. What works best for you can only be determined by use in a pool. What I find comfortable are bungee and spring straps over a rubber strap. I prefer soft or natural rubber over hard plastic foot box/pocket.

Surface swims:
Neutral and negative buoyant fins with an angled blade work best for me. So positive buoyant and straight blade fins do not work as well for me for surface swimming.

Shops may allow to try out in their pool, so bring bathing suit and towel. Or can purchase then try out in pool and return if not satisfied.

Last edited:
If divers were not so lazy about what is optimal regarding fins, I think this would be more like racing rollerblades , high end cycling shoes, or even competition running shoes. With a market that just does not care, the manufacturers will certainly not care.

Take a pair of $400 cycling shoes, with carbon fiber sole...Put a high end custom orthotic into the shoe, so that it fits with precision and comfort on your feet. Then have the shoe plug into a platform area of the fins for perfect power transfer. The fins would fit perfectly, they would be more efficient, and have more precise control. You could use lower priced cycling shoes without losing too much of the transfer potential.

As they are, fins rarely fit any of us perfectly. The power transfer is not nearly as efficient as it could be...The only fin maker I know of that is interested in really going for THE BEST with this concept is DiveR in Australia.

Back
Top Bottom