Knife Placement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Griffo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Where do people put a backup knife / cutting device? I've got the usual knife pouch on the left hand side, that houses the blunt steak-knife, but would like to carry a second cutting implement "just in case". I have a trilobite with the harness pouch, and assumed it would be easy to fit on somewhere, but it's harder than I thought.

So far I have tried
a) On left hand side of waist strap - works but lose some of the "redundancy" by having it next to the other knife. What if an entanglement stops me reaching that side?
b) on the right hand side of waist strap - works but pain in the bum having to slide it off every time i get into the bpw to put on the can light
c) under D'rings on shoulder straps - fouls the backup lights
d) above D'rings - digs into me when I turn

I've been told to just stick it in my thigh pocket, but wouldnt you want it closer in case of entanglement?

If you use a light on a Goodman handle, the Eezycut fits very nicely on the palm side of the handle.

Have you tried attaching it to the can light battery housing?
Personally I think a serrated steak knife should be enough to take care of anything the Trilobite can take, and then some. Especially if you get old fashion pointy triangle serrations and not those fancy dancy wavy things they use now days.

For anything else you would want trauma shears. And in that case the entanglement would probably be too thick of a cord to severely limit accessing your pocket.

When diving wrecks (ours are often covered in fishing gear), I'll bring along a pair of shears in my right drysuit pocket. Much easier to get through wire leader with shears than a steak knife. Otherwise, just the standard small knife on the waist strap.

I keep mine on the right side waist, although I use the quick attatchment by dive rite on the canister so I don't have to slide it on and off. Also a z knife or trilobite in my right leg pouch.

Your first backup is on your buddy, but past that I keep a small Tekna knife on my goodman handle.

Z knifes rust, but I hear good things about those trilobites, and shears make sense for ocean diving. Any of that stuff should be stowed in a pocket somewhere.

Normal knife carried on side...but my main knife for nets is a small sharp blade kept on my left fore-arm.
Location allows easy access in a pinch

shears in right pocket for wrecks, with a bolt snap to secure to my bungees

Firstly thanks to everyone for their input.
If you use a light on a Goodman handle, the Eezycut fits very nicely on the palm side of the handle.
Hi Lynne, can you tell me more about how you attach it? Do you use the wrist mount pouch? The ones i bought were the harness mount and the hole goes the wrong way

Have you tried attaching it to the can light battery housing?
I hadn't thought about the can-light at all to be honest. Investigation required :)

I do have trauma shears as well, I haven't really carried them that much, they do seem to rust very easily around the handles. Maybe I need better ones :)

I use the wrist pouch.

Feed 1 piece of the bungee on your dive timer/computer through the tab on the pouch.

When you put the timer/computer on put the 2nd piece of bungee mount over the bottom of the pouch and tucked slightly under the velcro tab attached to the knife - will get a pic tonight.

The 2nd piece of bungee tucks in nicely and its all very streamlined.

This gives me a 2nd cutting device where I can reach it easily without causing more issues.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom