Knife Placement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are a couple of blunt style knives that come w/adapters that can be mounted on hoses.....The adapters are for rubber hoses, they work on Miflex hoses but tend to slide...Some people wrap a piece of inner tube around the Miflex hoses to take up the difference in diameter...I wear one of the small blunt, titanium knives on the inflator hose and another on the analog SPG hose...I can reach either w/both hands....It's a stream-lined set-up and doesn't interfere w/other gear....I've also seen people mount knives on the back of their mask straps w/a DIY attachment.......

Guys, this is the DIR forum. Lets try to keep the answers within the realm of DIR. Putting sharp objects on hoses is not DIR, and putting a knife on your mask isn't, either.

I do have trauma shears as well, I haven't really carried them that much, they do seem to rust very easily around the handles. Maybe I need better ones :)

I bought and tested a pair of ADC Medicut Shears. There's always a risk buying on the internet because some companies just can't seem to advertise their stock right.

I usually look for $3-$8 shears, extra large rivet, and autoclavable.

The last pair of shears I've bought have lasted well. I've kept one pair wet, stuck in its holster, and unrinsed for 3 days straight and there's only a smiget of rust detectable on the connection rivet. A little WD-40 inside and out and it wiped clean off; added a bit of a water proof barrier as well for next time.
The specific place I got them was on amazon, dark green handle version from Rymatt Wellness LLC
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RJTZPK/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

Firstly thanks to everyone for their input.

Hi Lynne, can you tell me more about how you attach it? Do you use the wrist mount pouch? The ones i bought were the harness mount and the hole goes the wrong way

bladein.jpgbladeout.jpg

Here are two pictures, one with it stowed, and one with it swiveled out. The blade pulls out. (I see now that I ought to have rotated them, but you get the idea, I'm sure).

I like the tekna on the goodman handle except for traveling when you carry on the light head (which I do). something to remember when packing is all. I need a 21w :)

Like a few others here, I keep my first backup on my teammate and my second clipped off (shears) in a pocket. A friend keeps a Trilobite attached to his compass bungee, and that also seems to work well and be pretty streamlined.

Of course, the real DIR answer is to dance your way through any potential entanglements without getting hooked, using your superior in-water control.

For wreck diving I often slide an additional sheath with surgical shears to the left of the knife, DIRish, but use your knoggin as to which is more useful inside a wreck......especially if you have another knife on the goodman.

Here are two pictures, one with it stowed, and one with it swiveled out. The blade pulls out. (I see now that I ought to have rotated them, but you get the idea, I'm sure).

Thanks Deadbilly. I've see those knives, but unsure how Lynne was attaching the Eezycut to the goodman handle. It's a bit different.

Cheers

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom