New to diving / first time on Bonaire - questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the links to the shore dive guides, I am sure these will be very helpful. I am also thinking of picking up some entry level computers before the trip. Any recommendations? I don't think two BCDs/regulators/etc. are in the budget right now, but two lower end computers seem like a good investment considering the rental costs.

We love the Oceanic VEO 1.0 computers. We originally purchased them as backups, but have since retired the other more complex and expensive computers in favor of these.

Why we like them:
- Works with air or nitrox.
- Simple, single-button operation.
- Large easy to read display.
- User replaceable batteries (no need to send to factory.)

You can buy them with the wrist strap option, and then later move them to your consoles if you buy regulators.

Hi,
We went to Bonaire as newly certified divers and stayed at/dove with Buddy Dive. I highly recommend diving with them...and being open/frank with the DM on the boats as to your experience....they let you do your own thing but will also let you hang near them if you are a beginner. I don't like to dive deep (plus I like the fish/colors at the shallower depths and we take photos) and I never felt pushed beyond my experience or limits....the DM usually stays around 50ish feet and you can dive above/below them. I would get your own computers, and they don't take much luggage space. Might also want to buy your own boots as well (as someone mentioned open-heel fins are the norm if you ever do any shore diving) but it might be a good opportunity to try different equipment/brands of the other stuff. Enjoy!

A very useful class to take before Bonaire is nitrox. You can now take it online so it's quite easy to get certified. There are even packages in Bonaire with free nitrox upgrades.
Bonaire is a place that is perfect for nitrox dives. Lots of 50-100 foot dives, easy to want to spend more time on the bottom than allowed on air.

Wow, thanks for all of the info! I've been emailing buddy dive about the referral dives, but I see the merit of doing the quarry dives as well (dutch springs). I'll have to decide by Friday so just wanted to get some opinions. We will be on the island for two weeks in the beginning of September and are staying in the Santa Barbara area, which seems to be pretty central. We are definately planning on doing a boat dive or two to start out, but will probably want to do mostly shore dives afterwards. Thanks again for all of the info, and if you have recommendations for shore dives that are beginner friendly, defintely let me know. We are definitely up for doing some dives with more experienced divers if anyone will be on the island first half of September.

I too am a firm believer in the train hard, dive easy philosophy. I trained at Dutch Springs and did not love it and even with a dry suit seldom do anymore cold water diving. That being said, what I learnt at Dutch was invaluable and I firmly believe that it made me a better diver for the experience. I now, 250 dives later, stick almost exclusively to warm water diving but will never regret the training dives I did at Dutch. Please also remember that even if you do not love the cold water experience that does not mean you wont love other forms of diving. Good luck and enjoy.

Craig

Very easy shore dives:

Windsock
Bari Reef (enter south of Den Laman near the open fields)
1000 Steps

Myself and a friend went to Bonaire both as brand new divers. Was a great exp and very easy to figure out. We used wannadive and I have nothing but great things to say about them. Very friendly and run a top notch outfit. I can't speak for the others but loved wannadive. Did the night dive ($25) with them and it was a FULL one tank dive and it was over an hour long, loved every minute of it and highly recommend it. I was very nervous about a night dive with being a new diver and so glad I did it. I also did the nitrox class with wannadive for much cheaper than it is in Texas. The dive at divi is very easy and awesome. I just asked inside the shop of I could use the dock and they were more than okay with it.
Don't miss the BBQ night at the divehut either. Just my new diving 1st trip 2 cents.

I know it may be too late, but I wanted to chime in here. I got certified in June. I took my checkout dives at Dutch Springs (Which is where you're talking about, I'm sure): http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/introductions-greets/423496-new-pa-diving-bonaire.html

It was a great time. Water was chilly, but with a full 7 or 9 mil, hood, and gloves, it was fine. I recommend it. Why, you may ask? Becuase it made me appreciate Bonaire SO MUCH more than I think I would have if I had done my OW checkout dives in Bonaire. The cold, clear quarry is much different than Bonaire's beautiful, warm water. Either way, you will enjoy it!

In regards to the rentals, my g/f (She has been certified for 8 years) and I stayed at Buddy Dive so I can't really comment on that. Make sure you get some diving in (or at least a trek to see) Washington-Slagbaii National Park up on the north end of the island. Boca Slagbaii was my favorite dive, and had the most diverse sea life of all the dives. Check out my Bonaire video playlist here: Tarpon Swimming Through a Bait Ball at Boca Slagbaai, Bonaire - 720 HD! - YouTube

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom