Cant Seem to Equalize!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife had troubles equalizing .... I found this link on this site... VERY good info for you....

dr edmond kay - YouTube

good luck...Jim

I like to start the process even before entering the water. I found if I waited....just like in going down....until I needed to eq then it was harder or didnt work. Good luck.

I have people start before their head goes under water.

Lots of threads on this. Equalizing gently before descent is a good tip. So is swallowing, or tilting your head from side to side, or breathing out through your nose, do a feet first vertical descent, descend slowly, or all of the above. Also, don't over think it. Don't equalize "too hard." Don't obsess. The more you re in the water, the more you will be used to the feel of water on/in your outer ear. Even divers with thousands of dives have the occasion where clearing is not as easy as they are used to, me included. Take it slow, and all will be well.
DivemasterDennis

I had a lot of trouble equalizing when I first started diving only 1 year ago. My first time into the deep end of the pool was very painful.

I quickly googled ear clearing techniques and spent a few dives trying different methods on descent.

The Lowry technique ended up being the most effective and is now my go-to clearing technique. It can be a little tricky to do since it is 2 common techniques combined, but once I got it down, I could clear my ears without issues.

Of course descending slowly and clearing before you feel pain is always a necessity. Don't forget if it starts to hurt, go back up a few feet and clear...

Hers a link to a site I used to try some techniques.
Ear Clearing Techniques

When I took my OW course, I had a really hard time clearing. I did some research here on SB and started taking Flonase as recommended by my dive instructor, and now I believe I have got it down. I havent been diving much since my OW, but I can pop my ears easily now on the surface by holding my nose, blowing and swallowing at the same time (can't remember what that's called). I believe I was just overthinking it at first, and using the wrong technique. Good luck!

hello!
I have been having trouble Equalizing the last few dives i have done anytips?

Good advice here. You said the "last few dives". You had no problems before those? Are you doing anything different? I assume you don't have a cold or congestion.

You should practice clearing you ears at least once a day. You do not need to be diving to do this. Do it now. If you can not, work until you can. Clearing you ears does not require a body of water. Clearing on a regular basis will condition your ears so when you take a plane ride or dive this will be easier.

You should practice clearing you ears at least once a day. You do not need to be diving to do this. Do it now. If you can not, work until you can. Clearing you ears does not require a body of water. Clearing on a regular basis will condition your ears so when you take a plane ride or dive this will be easier.
when i started diving i was in equalization hell. I couldn't equalize my right ear easily even after 10 dives so when Christmas came around and I went back to the Alberta for the 2 weeks i "broke in" my ears. now the question is who sinks faster me or a rock. the debate is still up in the water column. So Ron is right on this one and most new divers I know (not that i have had my cert long but talk alot with the latest grads) like i say " your ears might not like you at first but exercise them and thou shall be free of thy demons". So far not one person has had issues after a week or two of equalizing their ears on land 4 or 5 times (or more) a day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom