Observations - "I don't know"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What's the "best" can opener? Maybe there is one but who cares? :) They all work. :)

I don't know if that's an accident but that's a great example. Almost all can openers "work" but the crappy ones have a hard time getting a bite on the lid or turning the crank with your hands is painful.

For me personally I tend to define best in terms of value. I look for the cheapest product that delivers a minimum expectation of features, quality, reliability. Occasionally there will be a situation where my minimum expectation is really high so that'll mean only the top shelf product is even under consideration.

As for compasses, I'm not even sure what brand mine is. My DRIS receipt say it's XS Scuba ( a brand that I've found to be really hit or miss ) and that it was $65. I believe it was the cheapest bungee compass I could find. I think the SK7 is about the same price ($70) The DSS bungee is $15 more so it's only a $20 difference.

I guess I should have bought the Suunto. Then again, I haven't had any problems with my compass.

Last edited:
While I believe in speaking within the framework of your experience and knowledge, I also know newbies asking questions like this regarding equipment recommendations aren't looking for a lot of self-doubting equivocation:

He then asked me "What's the best compass out there?"

I think it's implied that it's in the instructor's experience that the answer will be derived, that the instructor is a fallible human who may make mistakes and hasn't tried all models of all brands for lengthy durations for a variety of usages and techniques, and thus can't speak from first hand knowledge to give a single answer for everyone.

But the newbie didn't ask for an extended exposition. He assumed the instructor had enough experience and awareness of some name brands, and that his recommendation as to the 'best,' with the questioner in mind as a presumably mainstream OW recreational diver, would produce a good quality product (though in the fullness of time it might not be the absolute best possible option out there).

This is especially true of some products, like compasses.

There are some products, like regulators, where there are a range of quality brands & models that are very comparable with some price variation, some such as dive computers where capabilities and interfaces vary widely (e.g.: tech. nor not, console vs. wrist, AI or not), and some such as fin types where application is key and individual preference often conflicts (witness the split fins debates, and the issue of whether you'll be frog kicking in them, etc...).

For those products, answers for Atomic Aquatics 'Smoke of the Water' split fins, Cobalt dive computer and B2 regulator, best bang for the buck, yessir, would be over-the-top if not at least qualified a bit with why & for what you consider them 'great' for.

But I think the Suunto SK7 (I've got some myself) was a fine recommendation, wouldn't have steered the newbie wrong, and wasn't indicative of an image conscious pro. trying to look good and impress the newbie.

If the newbie really wants some multi-party perspective input, have him read a bunch of our split fin debate threads. After 20 pages or so, he may be ready for someone to say 'Buy this one!'

Richard.

BTW, just to repeat my self, this post wasn't an attack on this pro. I like this person a lot and don't have any problem with the advice given. It just made me think about this from a broader perspective.

The best compass is the one on you! :D

My favorite was a freebie found on a Key Largo reef by mselenaous. It doesn't bungee to my hand: it clips to a D-Ring. Divers Direct sells it and it comes with a retractor. I actually used that for a while until it got hung up while on the Vandenburg. Now it just clips to my BC and it's far easier to use when it's free.

1337-DEFAULT-m.jpg

We always teach our students Fit and Comfort... well the same is true here. Find something that works for you. Thanks Elena for finding this for me! It's awesome!

Its funny this subject came up.I recently had to let a salesman go for repeatedly giving misinformation.
The standard line I tell my staff to use if they don't know something is " hey look I don't know, Lets go find out together"
The thing is if you get it wrong then sure as eggs is eggs you WILL be found out and that doesn't cast a shadow just on you but5 the entire dealership.

Wow! I never thought about a compass being a big deal! Goes to show my scope of knowledge! I can understand people comparing computers and other gear, but I always thought a compass was a compass was a compass. At least I never profess to knowing it all.......the more I learn the more I know that I don't know.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom