Observations - "I don't know"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chrpai

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I went diving with a newly certified diver yesterday. At one point he complained about his digital compass in his computer not refreshing fast enough and that he wanted a traditional compass.

He then asked me "What's the best compass out there?"

I comfortable and truthfully answered "I don't know." I told him that I liked my wrist mounted bungee compass and that I believed the primary difference in quality was the different tilt angles different models could work under but that I didn't honestly know without researching which model was "best".

When we got back to the boat another diver ( who is an instructor ) confidently and unequivocally answered "suunto".

Ok, so whether that answer is correct or not, my observation goes in a little bit different direction. I am perfectly fine saying "I don't know, I'll go research that." ( FWIW, I've since googled and found positive comments about the Suunto SK7 )

It seems that often ( perhaps, perhaps not in this situation ) that "Pro's" seem to have to always have the answer whether they know what they are talking about or not. They have to look impressive in your mastery of diving knowledge and/or push the product that's sitting on their shelf.

Good observation or way of base? I'm curious to other people's opinions and observations.

For me, I'm comfortable being honest in assessing the quality of my knowledge or opinion. For example when I explained during the dive planning brief that I didn't have any ditchable weight he asked me "Are you comfortable with that?" and I clearly said "yes I am" and then explained at a very high level the concept of "can you swim it up.".

Last edited:
""It seems that often ( perhaps, perhaps not in this situation ) that "Pro's" seem to have to always have the answer whether they know what they are talking about or not. They have to look impressive in your mastery of diving knowledge and/or push the product that's sitting on their shelf.""

Yeah, I think that is a pretty accurate assessment more often than not. I think one other factor is that they get tunnel vision and/or assume that if something works, or is the best for, them it obviously has to work or be the best for everyone else. It is certainly fine to like or believe in certain products is just fine. To refuse to have an open mind and be arrogant is another.

I do have to agree with the "pro" about the Suunto compass... I have seen a number of brands, and none better then the Suunto SK7.
I do not sell any new stuff, have no stake in any brand, it's just my personal opinion.

Fair enough, but not really the point as it was just an example. Can you give opinions about the broader question from your perspective? (FWIW I like this 'pro' and it's not about him.)

I think it's often difficult for people in general to say, "I don't know." I know that, in my line of work, there are times when I have to say to a patient, "I don't know much about this disease you have, but I'll go look it up." Same thing with drugs, because there are too many of them to keep track of all the new ones (and brand names!). But I've gotten enough feedback from people that I think this is a rare behavior in a doctor.

I also think it's really easy for divers to answer those sorts of questions based on very little breadth of experience. I know, for example, that I have used only seven or eight different kinds of fins. I can easily answer questions about those fins, but I don't even try to answer questions about models and makes I've never used, nor would I ever answer a question about, "What's the best fin?" Best fin for the kind of diving I do, yes, I think I've read enough discussions to be able to weigh in on that . . . but it would be tempting to answer every question with "bp/w!" and we do see that here :)

The phenomenon of certainty is real, and definitely not limited to scubas pros.

It seems to often be associated with youth/inexperience.
“When I was 15, I knew it all and my Dad knew very little. I was amazed how much he learned by the time I was 25.” (or something like that – attributed to Twain, but probably should be author unknown)

Over the years as I found out how often I was wrong, I started responding more frequently with “it depends”, “I don’t know” and “let’s find out”.

I also have a bias that some professions are more prone to certainty. Macho professions such as marines and policemen seem more so. Engineers, educators and (as TSandM points out) healthcare providers, somewhat less so.

Being humbled sometimes teaches humility.

< But what do I know? >

SK7. Close thread.

:)

Actually I have no problem saying "damned if I know".

I really don't understand why other compasses tend to be such garbage. The design of the sk 7 is not really original, very simple, and I am sure it could be copied functionally without violating any patents.

"Pro's" seem to have to always have the answer whether they know what they are talking about or not.

This is definitely not limited to pro's. People in general tend to recommend what they own and bash things that they don't own. Tunnel vision is rampant among experienced divers, some of whom are pros. The reason you're hearing these things more often from pros is because people obviously put some stock in their opinions and solicit their opinions. Some pros obviously appear to feel that they should have an answer to everything and I believe it to be a fact that "I don't know" should be a much more common answer than it is.

In this case, however, I haven't tried every compass available but I've tried a few and I will say that regardless of whether or not the Suunto is really the "best" compass or not, it's a really good one and his advice was sound, even if you didn't like the delivery.

R..

The phenomenon of certainty is real, and definitely not limited to scubas pros.

It seems to often be associated with youth/inexperience.
&#8220;When I was 15, I knew it all and my Dad knew very little. I was amazed how much he learned by the time I was 25.&#8221; (or something like that &#8211; attributed to Twain, but probably should be author unknown)

Over the years as I found out how often I was wrong, I started responding more frequently with &#8220;it depends&#8221;, &#8220;I don&#8217;t know&#8221; and &#8220;let&#8217;s find out&#8221;.

I also have a bias that some professions are more prone to certainty. Macho professions such as marines and policemen seem more so. Engineers, educators and (as TSandM points out) healthcare providers, somewhat less so.

Being humbled sometimes teaches humility.

< But what do I know? >

I became an instructor at the ripe youthful age of 18. My Course Director and LDS owner ingrained in all of us that it was okay to say "I'm not sure, let me find out" and we used it religiously. I don't think it's necessarily due to age, but education/training, first by parents then by teachers/employers.

I would also vote for the SK7, but I'd go on to explain I like it for being able to tilt, however I prefer the bezel on the AUP compasses. I've also broken few SK7's in transit and never had an issue with an AUP. With that information, the person asking could then make up their own mind (Do I want to worry about being mostly level? Do I use the bezel a lot? Am I a reckless packer?). That way, if they don't like it, I can say "I told you so" :)

Back
Top Bottom