Observations - "I don't know"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fair enough, but not really the point as it was just an example. Can you give opinions about the broader question from your perspective? (FWIW I like this 'pro' and it's not about him.)

For what it's worth, people tend to prefer equipment they bought themselves. Especially when they have no or little experience with other brands. Understandable because would you like to let people know you spent a lot of money on questionable stuff ?

It so happened that I was in a dive shop in Amsterdam last friday and there was a customer fitting closed heel fins. His personal feeling told him to get the Cressi's because of the rigidity of the blade instead of the Mares fins that had a far better fit ( his words ). He had no other cause for prefering the stiffer blade of the Cressi than something he heard someone say... He owns open heel Mares fins and is very happy about them. I don;t think the shop owner tried to sell the fins that had the best margin, he did his best to get the customer what would make him happy.
I did attempt to convince him that the Mares where the better choice just because I have a pair serving me well for 15 years. No other reason.
Can't tell what happened in the end, I walked out before the deal was closed.

I'm more than happy to say I Don't Know. For instance, I Don't Know squat about any Suunto compass, because once I found the compass peddled by Aqualung, I didn't have to look any farther.... Oh! :D

Best? Not much question:

TAC100.jpg
Data Sheet

I rather like the Sk-6 (right, 6, not 7).

It's important to say you don't know if you don't know. As we wrote in both our books on scuba etiquette, you should give advice only when you are asked AND if you are competent to give it. There are a lot of people who give bad advice and poor guesses based on lack of knowledge. I know nothing about wing and back plate, and nothing about rebreathers. I will not critique either, because... I don't know!. But... I have used digital compasses and mechanical compasses, and I have yet to use a digital compass I though was any good. I am sure they exist, but.. if asked I will tell someone what I have, and why I like it, and tell them there are other options but I am happy with the item I have.
DivemasterDennis

I could easily have been the instructor that you mention. I try to preface my answer to questions like the one you cite with, "in my opinion" or "in my experience," but that is a common question from new divers and I probably would have answered it exactly the same. It is my experience that Suunto SK7s seem to work at a greater degree of tilt than most, including other Suuntos. It is what I recommend and use, even though I have never worked at a shop that was a Suunto dealer. I get that you are not really asking about that particular question, but about the ease/certainty that some folks answer whether they know anything about the topic or not. So if someone had asked me that question and I answered it like the instructor you mentioned above, would you have assumed that because I had an easy answer to it that I was just BSing? Or might it have occurred to you that I have owned probably eight or ten different brands of underwater compasses and used even more over the years and was giving a good answer to a common question.

Other general equipment questions don't have such easy answers - for example, "what is the best fin" is a little more complicated. The answer to that is always, "it depends on what kind of diving you are planning on doing?" I generally dive a bp/w with short, wide, stiff fins, wrist mounted computer and compass and nothing dangling when I am diving recreationally. Most of my students and friends end up diving very similar set-ups, not necessarily because I recommend it, but because they see it working well. As for brand, since I don't work for a shop, I don't care much about brand when similar enough products are available, but I am a gear junky and have tried, owned, and serviced most general types of scuba equipment out there and make no apologies for having opinions about it. When someone asks my opinion, I am certainly going to give it. If someone asks about a piece of equipment with which I am unfamiliar, I have no problem saying so and I bet that is true of most experienced divers. I don't really think that any special knowledge that I might bring to a discussion of equipment comes from my being a "pro", it comes from being a gear junky, being obsessive and spending tons of money on stuff I don't really need - none of that would be evident if you saw someone asking me a question on a dive boat. So I guess I am suggesting that not everyone who has easy answers to questions is just a "pro" who needs to have all the answers - follow-up questions will always clear up the issue. Sorry if I wandered far from your original question.

First, I dive a rig like yours. :)

That said, I've known this person for awhile and it's not my first rodeo so I have a pretty developed ability to slice through statements like that and evaluate the quality of the information. And yes, it's not really about him or the recommendation he made ( it seems to be spot on in this case ) ... I was thinking more about the trend in general and my newly minted O/W diver buddy and what his abilities are in discerning opinions. I know back in the day I didn't have that ability and hence the trail of abandoned gear. Split fits, high volume masks, jacket BCD's..... All gear I purchased because some guy was standing there saying "oh this is the best you'll dive this your entire career"

Hope that makes sense.

When asked about gear I will answer with " This is what I use" or "I have found this works best for me". I dive a bp/ w, but in my opinion it is not always the best option for everyone. One of the best divers I know, who owns bp/ w(2), side mount equipment and surprisingly, spends more time diving an Aqualung Pro QD jacket BCD. When I asked him why a jacket style BCD and not his "better" setups, his answer was that he dives what makes it easier for HIM to dive comfortably, safely and efficiently, and his mind, the Pro QD did that. So my style or gear choice aren't the best necessarily, just are the best for me.

Re--the broad question: I say "I don't know" a lot. Maybe because I'm still a greenhorn pro. I am a 'talker" and former school teacher, so I tend to elaborate when a student asks me about something I use or know a lot about. If it's something like weight belt suspenders, I'll say they are the cat's @ss for me and the shop has them in stock. I personally have absolutely no stake in what the shop sells. The instructors and DMs I've worked with don't seem to fit the bill as "know-it-alls". Maybe I've been lucky. But my experience in this area is limited. I remember as an OW student a DM or two giving me extra tips when I was just trying to complete everything and get certified--ei. "Who cares what kind of gloves will be warm enough here in November, I just want to finish my checkout dives and get certified". I think it works both ways. Pros like to think if they can throw out some extra info. it may help a student diver down the line. Perhaps that's true.

I have no problem to say "I don't know". Scuba diving can be very complicated or very simple. It depends on our perception on the sport. Is it possible for any individual to grasp on everything related to scuba diving?

Problem is that often when I say "I dont know" people start going "but what about this one or that one" and try having me make up opinions of things Ive never tried..
"Nice color" quite often is my reply to those :p

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom