New to the thread, and with a question for you veterans!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, the DM Candidate just take the instructor's words for everything?

The DM Candidate can't exercise a modicum of intelligence and perhaps seek inputs and knowledge from other sources as well?

Sorry that you have taken offense to my post, and though unpopular I stand completely behind it.

I greatly appreciate your point of view, though I don't agree with it.
To answer your questions, and my reasons for them I am re-posting the pertinent portions from my original post.
Dive-master candidates should ask this type, really all types unless they are unable to get an answer, first from their instructor.
#1 give your instructor the chance to do his/her job, DMing is serious business and your instructor should be as informed about your learning curve as you are about your learning curve.
#2 your paying for this instruction,SB forum may be free, but you will often get conflicting opinions

I underlined the areas I believe to be of most importance in answering your questions.

May I in please ask you in return why you think the DMC should be doubtful of the knowledge of the instructor, and or prefer to elicit opinions from those they know only by avatar as opposed to their instructor first ?

I just re-read the OP and find no suggestion to either a feeling of incompetence towards the instructor or a feeling that the instructor had acted unhelpful in the past.

As has been noted in this thread, the original OP's question is covered in OW training. It made me think that the best advice to give for someone now training for a position of DM should be tempered with that in mind. In my training it was made clear that an embolism can occur in as little as a 6 foot breath hold or less, maybe yours also. The greater issue, to me, is that the instructor needs to not only know the DMC knowledge levels, but misses the opportunity to increase/improve them when answers to the DMC's questions are gotten from a forum rather then the instructor.

Last edited:
and or prefer to illicit opinions
I know you said you edited for grammar, but perhaps you mean elicit, as in ask questions and wish a response, rather than illicit, as in unlawful?

Just having a proper english moment, now it's out of my system, carry on ;-)

I know you said you edited for grammar, but perhaps you mean elicit, as in ask questions and wish a response, rather than illicit, as in unlawful?

Just having a proper english moment, now it's out of my system, carry on ;-)

thanks shoredivr,
were it not for google spell checker I would not have gotten that far, haha. Doesn't negate my post too badly though..or is it thou :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom