Honeymoon Dive Resort Suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Palau Pacific Resort in Koror, Palau would potentially be a decent location. Good snorkling off the beach, nice spa, and various dive outfits will pick you up on the dock, and if you need a day for something else to do, Pelieu is a not-to-be forgotten history lesson. Great diving with big animals (sharks/ mantas) and at trip to jellyfish lake is a must-do (at least once).

Laguna Beach Resort might have some shore diving, but the vast majority of dive sites around Utila are only reachable by boat, and the vast majority of diving is done by boat. Bonaire is the complete opposite end of the spectrum--essentially every site is shore diving. You need to make up your mind about your priorities. I mentioned that I honeymooned in Bonaire. One of the things we liked about the all-shore-diving vibe of Bonaire and its rental truck culture was being able to set our own schedule, doing as many or as few dives as we wished, any time of the day or night, taking our truck wherever we pleased on the island. We felt it was just what we wanted on a honeymoon--having a resort to take care of us yet also having the freedom to do our own thing at our own pace. The best of both worlds.

We've returned to Bonaire twice since then. We rent a condo rather than stay at a resort, but the resort was what we needed for the honeymoon.

I didn't intend to push Bonaire so hard, but I guess I am a fan.

Asia is fantastic--the diving in unparalleled--but you've got to have the time and put in a little more effort in the travel and other arrangements--transiting through busy Asian airports, for example. For me, heading to Asia for a honeymoon would involve more "work" than I would want to put in. I would recommend that, if not Bonaire, at least somewhere else in the Caribbean where you can get there in just a few hours and immediately immerse yourself in paradise.

I travel a lot for diving, and have been to quite a few places. Until recently, I was a solo diver and traveled by myself or with a few friends or a group. The ONLY time I ever wish I had a SO was when I stayed at the Deep Blue in Utila!!! It's so remote, romantic, and IMHO, a perfect place for a honeymoon! It's hard to get there, which makes it even more adventurous. When I was there, there was only one other couple. They took their diving course there several years prior, and returned for their first anniversary (does that scream romance or what!?). The food was supurb, the diving fantastic (they have a house reef you can shore dive from at any time), the resort is right on the beach, magnificent view........I can't say enough about it. Being very remote, though, you have to take a boat to get to town, as the resort is about the only place on the island. However, everything you need is right at the resort, and they will take you to town if you want. Check it out!

Reactions: Doc
If you choose Bonaire, look at Bamboo Bali Bonaire. We stayed there this christmas and the place is amazing, and the owners are super accommodating and friendly.

My wife and I got married on Taveuni (Fiji) stayed and dove for a week then went to the great barrier reef and Mike Balls Spoilsport for another week. We loved it and have returned to Fiji a few times since then as it is convenient (9 hours from LA.) and romantic. Not as much in the big fish arena unless you do the Bequa shark dive where a few tigers have been known top show up on occasion.

Note about Palau (my favorite destination) IT IS A LONG FRIGGIN TRIP, ALMOST AS LONG AS INDONESIA. From Salt Lake it is about 35 hours minimum to get to Indo. Palau is a bit quicker and seems shorter because of a layover in Hawaii. I don't think I would find that kind of travel on each end of a honeymoon much of a treat!

Let's see, Sharks, big stuff, convenient. Sounds a lot like the Bahamas to me. Tons of big stuff, Atlantis resort is very nice and has the premier water park in the world (ok, just my opinion) Stuart Cove runs a nice dive op that will pick you up at the hotel. Sometimes his boats are a bit crowded for my taste but I think you will not be disappointed with the diving. I don't think you will see more big stuff anywhere in the Caribbean.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom