Honeymoon Dive Resort Suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are 87 luxury spa-like hotels scattered throughout the Mar Caribe.

They surpass every dive resort in every way...

... Except in one particular arena.

On-site Shore Diving.
Agreed...

Indonesia is looking pretty good, but, in the opinion of those here, is it worth going for less time? Our only real time constraint is money, so if it costs twice as much to fly there we stay less time overall. Hence a $800 ticket to the caribbean allows more honeymoon time than a $2000 ticket to Indonesia.

Also, any ideas about places on Fiji, perhaps? It seems to have the combination of sharks/ shore diving, with the biggest downside being a plane ticket that matches Indonesia.

My wife and I honeymooned at Buddy Dive on Bonaire. (The wedding was on Curacao.) We had a GREAT time.

We've been to Bali. We've stayed in nicely appointed rooms on pilings above the water. But when we go to Asia we plan to spend more than a week, and we allotted a week to the honeymoon because we partied for a week before the wedding in Curacao with our guests in a rented villa. There was a lot to organize to keep everyone happy. For the honeymoon, we wanted to let other people do all the work. Buddy Dive fit the bill.

Indonesia is looking pretty good, but, in the opinion of those here, is it worth going for less time? Our only real time constraint is money, so if it costs twice as much to fly there we stay less time overall. Hence a $800 ticket to the caribbean allows more honeymoon time than a $2000 ticket to Indonesia.

Also, any ideas about places on Fiji, perhaps? It seems to have the combination of sharks/ shore diving, with the biggest downside being a plane ticket that matches Indonesia.

How many days are you talking about for the whole trip ? Losing 2 days out of 14, I say it is worth it. 2 days out of 7 is a different story.

Well, we have a very rough budget of around $6,000 for resort/ airfare. So in the Caribbean we can do roughly 12-13 days (with $800 plane tickets and deals on caradonna for about $1300 per person per week), as opposed to only around 7 or so for somewhere in Indonesia ($2000 plane tickets and about $1000 dollars per person per week).

When put like that its hard not to see Bonaire or Curacao as better... But we do love our big animals... See my dilemma?

You may also want to consider travel time, Asia verses the Caribbean.

---------- Post added March 11th, 2013 at 03:53 PM ----------

If Bonaire and you want the dive resort atmosphere, does anyone have experience with Harbour Village. Harbour Village Luxury Hotel Bonaire. I have not stayed there but I understand it is one of the more luxury type of resorts than some of the others on Bonaire and of course, more expensive.

It is hard to know because I don't really know the priorities.

My wife and I have stayed 3 times at Little Cayman Beach Resort (LCBR). We have always gone in the summer. It has pretty good large stuff: big Nassau groupers, southern sting rays, quite a few hawksbill turtles, nurse sharks, eagle rays and nurse sharks. The diving sites at Little Cayman are pretty protected. On top of that, the water clarity tends to be superb. You get great wall diving. You also get very nice reef diving at the top of the wall. LCBR has very good food and decent amenities. If you are thinking night life though, think again. The island has almost no one there. It is about diving, or kayaking, or fishing, or bird watching.

Now, we have both also gone to Virgin Gorda in the British Virgin Islands. The top side amenities are very good there. We stay at Mango Bay Resort. I have done shore diving right there. You can see small stuff. You can also kayak. The diving is in Spanish Town with Dive BVI and they are a very good operator. The Wreck of the Rhone is a tremendous dive. You will probably see quite a bit of good small stuff. However, the area like many is pretty heavily fished so large fish are pretty rare.

I have been to Coco View. It is fun and a good deal. You can dive as much as your little heart desires. But the amenities are pretty basic. However, if you want to do diving, diving and more diving, it is a great place and a lot of fun. The rooms over the water are better than the ocean view rooms (according to my wife, I am not a great judge of this).

Now, I think the diving is better at Utila. I have been to a small resort, Deep Blue which I would recommend. You do two morning boat dives per day. You do either an afternoon boat dive or a night boat dive. Also you can do a shore dive and the house reef is really good. Again, if you are thinking night life, forget it.

For large stuff, you might think of trying one of the Bahama diving resorts. The Bahamas have protected sharks and most of the resorts feature shark dives. I have not been there so I don't know for sure.

Now the Caribbean has pretty good fish and diving. You get the same genera pretty much in the Pacific and the Caribbean. It is just that the better places in the Pacific have far more species of each genus of fish and many of them are far more brightly colored than anything in the Caribbean.

I'm not sure why I never thought of Utila... It seems to have shore diving to rival even Bonaire, but also a healthy amount of the big stuff.
Anyone have any experience with The Laguna Beach Resort? Also, for those who have been to Utila, how difficult is it to arrange flights getting to the island?

Again, I can't thank you all enough for your help with this. Looking at resorts the world over is a bit intimidating alone.

Utila isn't known for shore diving. Am I wrong? I spent three months there and never did a shore dive.

Reactions: Doc
Hmm... It could just be a sales pitch, but Laguna Beach Resort seems to emphasize its high-quality shore diving from the resort itself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom