Honeymoon Dive Resort Suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fuller43

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey all! I am planning on proposing within the next 2 months, so, needless to say, this is a very forward-looking post. That said, I have begun looking at dive resorts that might be good for honeymooning. We are both Master and Rescue certified divers, and love big animal dives (sharks, rays, etc).

So, I am looking for a nice dive-focused resort to accommodate us. As we are looking forward to doing shore dives whenever we choose, I have been seriously considering Bonaire, but am open to other ideas. I've read some things about Captain Don's Habitat, and the Plaza, but know relatively little about the diving quality.

So, I humbly ask for the combined experience of you all! Best dive resort with great shore diving, fancy enough to make a nice honeymoon?

Thanks in advance!

Maybe provide a little more info on your honeymoon criteria? Diving and romantic seem mutually exclusive to me. But I am old and cranky.

I would recommend bonaire because you can get lots of diving in AND go to a few VERY nice restaurants ( that's honeymoon part). But maybe my honeymoon expectations are too low?

You will not see big animals in Bonaire unless you go to the wild side (east side).

If you want more glitz, consider grand cayman or Provo in Turks $ Caicos. Provo will give you the big animals, but long boat rides.

Is a live aboard an option?

Please don't do a Sandals....

.....Best dive resort with great shore diving, fancy enough to make a nice honeymoon?

It really hinges on your definition of "fancy enough".

"Best dive resorts" are few and far between. "Great shore diving", that's another step beyond.

In general, yes, look at Bonaire. There are any number of nice places to go in town and out in the woods for memorable dining and moments.

My preference is CocoView on Roatan, their shore diving is superior and it is certainly firmly within the realm of "best dive resorts"

The over-the-water bungalows are romantic enough by most standards.

IMG_4123.jpg

If her daddy has piles of money, I would suggest the Maldives. It doesn't get much better in terms of posh+good diving just offshore. If he does not have piles of money, you might want to reconsider the whole thing.

I really liked my dive vacation at Cocoview, but I would not describe the resort or food, as fancy. Rustic is a better description.

Cocoview & romantic? I thought Bonaire & romantic was a pretty big stretch!

Cocoview & rustic. Cocoview & great diving. Cocoview & family style Meals. These all go together. And I do look forward to going back.

I am sure my dive buddy would give me a failing grade if I used Cocoview & honeymoon in the same sentence.

Maybe the op needs to solicit some honeymoon advice from the fairer sex?

Maldives generally fits the bill for honeymoons and big critter diving. As mentioned above, the majority of resorts are extrememly expensive. Some are just very expensive.

Honeymoon Romantic, Super Special. ....and great diving with big stuff (and macro!)

Of the following, all are wonderful places and reflect different time commitments and budgets, but my wife and I agree that the most romantic and memorable was Bali and Mimpi Menjangan. Our Bungalow had an enclosed garden with its own private infinity pool and a natural hotspring pool.

Caribbean: Saba Queen's Gardens Resort a Hampshire Classic Hotel
US: Hawaii Jack's Diving Locker : Manta Ray Night Dive in Kona, on the Big Island of Hawaii.
Indo-Pacific Bali Bali | Mimpi Dive Resort | Indonesia

I know a fantastic travel agent that I would highly recommend. She is an avid diver and specializes in luxury, super special dive travel packages. It would be worth a call to her as well as your query here on SB.
Vickie Coker
Travel Masters
Welcome to Travel Masters
1001 W Anderson Lane
Austin, Texas 78757
Phone: (512)323-6961
Toll Free Fax: (866)257-8060

Fancy enough for a honeymoon resort with big animals and shore diving is a very short list. Esp. if you mean on-site shore diving.

Bonaire doesn't make my big animals list except for more expensive east side diving - one operator goes out there with a RIB. Neither does Roatan - except for the paid shark/dolphin dives.

Look at Grand Cayman. The only issue there is that the two dive resorts - both on shore dives - are at best average properties. Cobalt Coast is also 20mins. drive from anything - Sunset House is in the flightpath. CC has the advantage of North Wall access where you likely will see big animals, rays, tarpon, turtles etc. Not a lot of sharks though. A good idea of what to expect: iDive Global Locations If you stay at the resorts along Seven Mile Beach, boat operators will pick you up - just about all have a shuttle. The Westin is pretty nice. Many of the shore dives are within a 5-10min. drive of there also. Cayman is really pricey though also.

Turks and Caicos might work. There is good big animal diving off West Caicos and French Cay - a 45min. boat ride away from Provo. Lots of sharks, rays, turtles, grouper, occasional dolphin. We saw most of that on every dive at French Cay. Provo is as expensive as Grand Cayman but with even a better beach - Grace Bay is called one of the nicest beaches in the world. But you can't dive from it.

Grand Turk might be an option also, it's smaller and quieter. IIRC Bohio Dive Resort has shore access to the wall there.

How do you feel about Hawaii? Not especially exotic but some of the hotels/condos in the Kihei area in South Maui are on shore dives. The Grand Wailea - it's a big resort - is as upscale as you can afford - all the way up to concierge level floors or private villas. They also have honeymoon packages. It's on the Wailea Beach dive site - a decent shore dive - and somewhat dive focused - they have an on-site operator, teach classes etc.

It's within 5mins. drive of other dive sites at Makena Landing, 5Caves/Graves and Ulua Beach. Downside of the GW is there's a waterpark so lots of kids. Did I mention it's a big resort also. The Wailea Beach Marriott nearby is between Wailea and Ulua Beach - IDK much about it.

There's also the Sheraton Black Rock in West Maui. Nice resort, good beach, and Black Rock is a better than decent dive. There's also a resort operator on-site for tanks etc. Could be dozens to hundreds of snorkelers overhead though. It's in the heart of the real touristy part of Maui also.

I think there's a shallow dive/good snorkeling at the Four Seasons at Manele Bay on Lanai also. IDK about regular boat diving from there though.

Anse Chastenet on St. Lucia might be another option. Or Jade Mountain higher on the hill above it is even nicer. There's both beach and boat diving off the resort. IDK what big stuff is off St. Lucia but Scuba Diving voted their dive one of the Top Five shore dives in the Caribbean. There's also a big wreck they put down a few years ago nearby.

ANSE CHASTANET RESORT St Lucia, Caribbean's most romantic resort
Jade Mountain, St Lucia's Most Romantic Luxury Resort

Lastly, IDK how much shore diving they do there but this place makes my dive bucket list: Maldives Activities | Diving | Four Seasons Resort Maldives At Landaa Giraavaru Anytime the resort webpage features a Manta you know it must be good...

Fancy enough for a honeymoon resort with big animals and shore diving is a very short list. Esp. if you mean on-site shore diving.

Well said.

It's easy to define "shore diving" available from "a nice dive focused resort", but only if you have seen a few.

The OP never said "romantic", but somehow the discussion predictably veers toward couples massages on the beach and aroma therapy, gauze draped 4 poster beds on the beach. I saw the movie "10" and after spending enough time in the tropics, I know there really is no re-enacting the (long ago) scandalous scene with Burt Lancaster and Beborah Kerr in Here to Eternity...

Sand, as they say, gets in everything.

...Fancy enough to make a nice honeymoon...

I put this in the same category as your quest for "big animal dives".

Over time, your perceptions will change as to what you are really looking for. Big animals are good for a thrill, but after that, it's the little things that will continue to make your new life interesting.

I've been with Herself now for thirteen years. She consults for real-deal 5 Star hotels. When she recounts her fondest memories of our dive travels, she goes back to what some might call rustic. I prefer the term, "tribal". One of the best meals we had was drinking out of a quart beer and eating peanut butter on crackers, sitting on the concrete steps to our bungalow in Hotel Galapagos. Or, later in the same trip, when we sat in our comped suite at the Hilton Colon (that she had arranged) eating KFC from the store next door at street level. Quito has some great chicken, the view of the city park from the 15th floor was spectacular. These are memories.

3:00 am rides in a dubious Samurai along the entire mountainous length of Tobago to find only a sleeping guard who pointed us to our room. We sat on the veranda that week and ate cheesy-cracker packs and pink lemonade drink mix, watching the lanterns being lit each night in what was Ian Flemming's former redoubt set on a rock in the bay. Works for us.

Her first time ever away from home at Christmas was when we went to CocoView on Roatan. I had crammed a .75 cubic cardboard foot box full of Christmas decor and called ahead. I asked them for a pine sprig in a bucket in our room. There it was, a 4' bough of Ponderosa Pine in a pink plastic foot wash bucket. The ornaments and lights made it all the most magical Christmas in her memory.

We did learn that hanging mini lights on the Mangroves along the walkway looked good, but after about a day, the tingling in our feet on the wet planks made us understand that about 1 week was the limit for this electrifying experience.

Magic is where you make it.

The "big animal" encounters... they will take care of themselves. Concentrate on the "small stuff".

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom