Lion Air to increase air routes via new Manado hub

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

highdesert

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Be interesting to watch where this one goes.....if it cuts out a stop at Makassar for me, Im happy...wonder if they will use one of the ''cruise ships'' sitting in the port at Manado.

Given Indonesia's poor safety record in aviation I will stick to Silk Air for access to Manado

He added that Lion would also be opening schools in Manado to train pilots, flight attendants and mechanics, as well as constructing a hangar at Sam Ratulangi International Airport to strengthen the eastern hub.

Glad to hear that they are training their pilots now :)

the government had agreed to extend the runway at Manado’s Sam Ratulangi airport from 2,600 meters to 3,000 meters to allow for larger aircraft.

or allow smaller ones more braking distance when they miscalculate their landing

And as for the cruise ships full of divers .... :shocked2:

Given Indonesia's poor safety record in aviation I will stick to Silk Air for access to Manado

Glad to hear that they are training their pilots now :)

or allow smaller ones more braking distance when they miscalculate their landing

And as for the cruise ships full of divers .... :shocked2:

Based on my last trip, I was completely satisfied with Lion Air for a low cost airline. I was not, however, satisfied with the overweight baggage fee trap that Air Asia snared me in when I bought my ticket at the airport. Lion Air was much more accomodating, the flights were on time and everything went smooth.

To be honest ive flown Lion Air 14 times in the last year to either Manado or various parts of Sumatra and really cant complain. They are honest...check your ticket, meal status confirmed - yes confirmed there is no meal. The only one of those flights that has been delayed was a Jakarta - Mingkankabau (Padang..why didnt i just type Padang, fewer letters :D) although I do question Manado as a flight training destination. At least theres Lokon and the other volcanos to practice not smacking into. I will fly Lion Air again if im in the area - the only complaint I have is trying to change a booking online is easy, getting the refund is not. Just wave bye bye to the $ if you have to cancel a flight unless you want to go into Jakarta city or Denpassar city. Taxi cost and time from Jakarta airport to their office was more than the refund.

Useful information. I am going to Raja Ampat in November 2014 and as things stand planning to fly from Jakarta via Makassar to Sorong. The plan is stay overnight in Makassar in the cheap & cheerful Kanaka Giana Hotel near the airport and catch the Express Air flight to Sorong in the morning. If there are connections via Manado, there might be alternatives.

The useful Indonesiamatters site advises strongly to fly via Makassar rather than Manado by the way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom