Open Water Course in Pattaya

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lovelaos

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Complete newbie to diving and this forum, please be gentle :wink:
I am planning to do my OW course next month. I am based in Laos and have a 4 day holiday coming up at end of July.
I will do the OW theory bit online to save time and then head down to Pattaya for 4 days. I realise that Pattaya is probably not the best place to do the OW course and I am not a big fan of Pattaya but it makes sense given the time constraints I have.
My question is, do any of you lovely people have any recommendations for places to learn in Pattaya? I would prefer some kind of resort where you can learn and stay if possible. Costs are not an issue but obviously don't want to pay more than needed. I would rather have an experienced, quality instructor with quality equipment.

Also, I will be in Bangkok this weekend and am looking to buy a mask, fins and snorkel (maybe even a wetsuit) any recommended shops?

Thanks in advance for any advice and look forward to diving in Thailand and SEAsia in the near future.

There isn't any dive resorts as you describe with their own accommodation, but all the DC's in Pattaya have lots of accommodation around them. For training, in my mind your best option is Real Divers ( Scuba diving courses, dive trips and wreck diving in Pattaya, Thailand ) contact these guys and I am sure if you tell them what you are looking for they could arrange or recommend a place for you to stay very near to their shop, which is in a more quiet area of Jomtien away from all the busy entertainment areas of Pattaya.

I will not make any recommendations for buying equipment, as in my mind the majority of Scuba gear is vastly over priced anywhere in Thailand due to government import taxes and greed. With the exception of things like wetsuits or other such items that are made in Thailand, with these if you look around you can sometimes get a good deal. Have a look on the internet at what you can buy gear for in Europe, when I need anything I always source it in the UK and find most things significantly cheaper, up to half the price of dive shops in Thailand, and a far greater selection to chose from.

Don't expect too much from the diving in Pattaya, as things such as the water clarity and marine life etc are by far the worst on offer in Thailand, but at the end of the day you are there to do your course so this should not be your main concern. Good luck, I hope everything works out for you and hope you become a regular diver in the future.

Thanks lord khram, I am quite surprised there aren't any diving resorts in Pattaya. I'm not so surprised about the price of gear in Thailand and will bear in mind shopping online. Thanks for the tips.

I really am in 2 minds whether to do the OW course next month in Pattaya or wait a few months until I can get some more time off work and turn it into a holiday in a nicer destination (Phuket, Koh-Tao, Krabi...) I'm holidaying in The Maldives in October and the idea was to get a few dives in before then. Decisions decisions....

Thanks lord khram, I am quite surprised there aren't any diving resorts in Pattaya. I'm not so surprised about the price of gear in Thailand and will bear in mind shopping online. Thanks for the tips.

I really am in 2 minds whether to do the OW course next month in Pattaya or wait a few months until I can get some more time off work and turn it into a holiday in a nicer destination (Phuket, Koh-Tao, Krabi...) I'm holidaying in The Maldives in October and the idea was to get a few dives in before then. Decisions decisions....

If you simply want to get qualified, the diving in Pattaya would suffice, and the two owners of Real Divers have lived and worked continually for many years around Pattaya and are some of the most experienced instructors in the area.
Why not look on this simply to get your qualification, and keep your holiday time for the better destinations when you can focus your efforts on enjoying the superior surroundings rather than training.

Well I did the Open Water and I would thoroughly recommend Real Divers. They do indeed have great experience and knowledge of the area and made the OW course both relaxing and enjoyable. In fact, I am going back again to do the Advanced Open Water this month. Cheers lord khram, I'm hooked.

Well I did the Open Water and I would thoroughly recommend Real Divers. They do indeed have great experience and knowledge of the area and made the OW course both relaxing and enjoyable. In fact, I am going back again to do the Advanced Open Water this month. Cheers lord khram, I'm hooked.

Glad everything worked out OK for you. The guys at RD are definitely among the best in Pattaya. They are one of only two shops I would ever recommend or use myself, nice to see they are maintaining their standards. Your experience in Pattaya could have been very different.
Good luck with the advanced course and I hope you continue to get many years enjoyment from your diving.

Now it's time to find some lakes in Lao PDR to stay wet! :wink:

Yes, plenty of lakes and caverns here :) Finding a buddy could prove to be a bit more difficult though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom