To the pilots out there.......Flying 2 hrs after diving, but only to 1500 ft. OK?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

it was searcaigh that mentioned stalls, not coopair. Stalls are not part of the profile of the original question.

Problem is when you drive to 1500 feet you are doing so as a slow rate. When you're in a plane you hit 1500 pretty quickly. Then you do a stall maneuver drop down to 1000 ish then climb back up and do this over and over you are bouncing up and down quite quickly and this is going to be more cause for concern than a simple flight where you gain altitude, stay there then descend and land. The situation he's talking about isn't a standard flight. It's a hell of a lot more risky.

A 500 ft change in altitude is equivalent to 6 inches change of depth in water.

Problem is when you drive to 1500 feet you are doing so as a slow rate. When you're in a plane you hit 1500 pretty quickly.
Not in a Cessna 172. In truth, I really don't see this flight as being a physiological problem.

In truth, I really don't see this flight as being a physiological problem.

Neither do I.

But it is fun to think through the issues since you are combining TWO activities, each with its own attendant risks.

Problem is when you drive to 1500 feet you are doing so as a slow rate. When you're in a plane you hit 1500 pretty quickly. Then you do a stall maneuver drop down to 1000 ish then climb back up and do this over and over you are bouncing up and down quite quickly and this is going to be more cause for concern than a simple flight where you gain altitude, stay there then descend and land. The situation he's talking about isn't a standard flight. It's a hell of a lot more risky.

Why the heck would I be doing STALLS?? How in the world did you come to that conclusion?? NOWHERE did I even remotely indicate that id be doing that. Shaking my head.......

I would simply climb at 200 to 300 fpm from SL to 1000 to 1500' (so yes, I DO have control over my ascent rate), fly straight and level there and then descend for a normal landing.

Sheesh.........Have you ever even flown anything other than a kite??

Why the heck would I be doing STALLS?? How in the world did you come to that conclusion?? NOWHERE did I even remotely indicate that id be doing that. Shaking my head.......

I would simply climb at 200 to 300 fpm from SL to 1000 to 1500' (so yes, I DO have control over my ascent rate), fly straight and level there and then descend for a normal landing.

Sheesh.........Have you ever even flown anything other than a kite??

Welcome to Scubaboard ! :D

Do you have a big enough pony bottle for the dives you are doing? If it is at least 40 cuft then you should be fine....:D unless you are cave diving....:stirpot:

To each his own - if you feel comfortable doing it are well rested with plenty of water then it is definitely your call. I do have a question though - is there a buddy involved or is this all solo? Just wondering what their opinion is on the matter if there is a buddy involved.

On a side note - I do recall reading in a Diving Magazine a number of years ago about someone doing exactly what you are planning. Day 1 was fine, day 2 he got sick, day 3 he flew home because he felt horrible, day 4 he was in a chamber with a pretty bad case of DCS. Did recover - although was left with a permanent case of tinnitus.

Safe happy diving :)

Why the heck would I be doing STALLS?? How in the world did you come to that conclusion??
it was searcaigh that mentioned stalls, not coopair. Stalls are not part of the profile of the original question.

My sincere apology. I don't re-read the entire thread every single time there is an answer or reply from someone. Somehow that got mixed in there (stalls) and simply went from there. A mistake. As far as your kite comment though you'd do best to go fly one yourself if you're going to just be rude. I made a mistake and I admit that. [/the end]

My sincere apology. I don't re-read the entire thread every single time there is an answer or reply from someone. Somehow that got mixed in there (stalls) and simply went from there. A mistake. As far as your kite comment though you'd do best to go fly one yourself if you're going to just be rude. I made a mistake and I admit that. [/the end]

For the record, the quote above does not make clear who made the comment you consider rude.

It was not me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom