To the pilots out there.......Flying 2 hrs after diving, but only to 1500 ft. OK?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I came across this accidentally yesterday whilst looking up some tables in the US Navy Diving manual, Vol 1 printed on 15 February 1993

7-6-2 Flying After Diving
Divers should not fly for 12 hours after surfacing from a decompression dive or for two hours following a no-decompression dive. If the cabin pressure is maintained below 2,300 feet altitude, then flying may be done immediately after any air dive.

Okay it's 20 years old

It comes down to your comfort level and the risks you are willing to accept. My advice, to mitigate those risks should you decide to proceed is to use a high FO2 nitrox blend (provided you are nitrox certified). A EANx36 blend will obviously have less nitrogen than air. That and maybe keep the dive shallow.

My sincere apology. I don't re-read the entire thread every single time there is an answer or reply from someone. Somehow that got mixed in there (stalls) and simply went from there. A mistake. As far as your kite comment though you'd do best to go fly one yourself if you're going to just be rude. I made a mistake and I admit that. [/the end]

Sorry man, I didn't mean to come across like that. I was just frustrated at the moment, but not worries, I understand how you could make a simple mistake.

For the record, the quote above does not make clear who made the comment you consider rude.

It was not me.

I wasn't referring to you.

Sorry man, I didn't mean to come across like that. I was just frustrated at the moment, but not worries, I understand how you could make a simple mistake.

All good!

It seems counter-productive to take a risk in a single engine aircraft to fly as low as 500 ASL to avoid DCS. File a reasonable flight plan and dive accordingly.

It comes down to your comfort level and the risks you are willing to accept. My advice, to mitigate those risks should you decide to proceed is to use a high FO2 nitrox blend (provided you are nitrox certified). A EANx36 blend will obviously have less nitrogen than air. That and maybe keep the dive shallow.

The OP does mention that nitrox is not available.

Flying 50-100 miles in a C-172 takes 30 to 50 minutes. The time at altitude is minimal. Lower your assent/descent rate to 100 fpm and have fun. Your scenario is no different than driving any of the mountain passes along north American. The op stated flying later in the afternoon. 2-3 hours of SI dicking around will always happen with these two hobbies. And yea, 32 years of diving and 10 yrs flying has given me some insight into this question.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom