To the pilots out there.......Flying 2 hrs after diving, but only to 1500 ft. OK?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just curious. How much flying time do you have and what ratings do you have? I ask because most living, highly experienced "pilots in command" that I know would be thinking a lot more about how easily even the best laid plans can turn to crap. And, they would surely be focusing more on what might be the worst case ramifications for a rationalized decision to make the plan work just so you can sit on a better beach. Don't get offended, but it sounds like you have a case of "getthereitis", and that disease has killed a lot of pilots and their hapless passengers.

I am far from being a deco expert. But I think the problem with flying is that we are completely staurated to 1 ata before the dive and retuning to the surface, again at 1 ata, with extra loading in several compartments. I think diving with an altitude chart would be pretty close though. I would personally go for it, just keeping a conservative dive profile. I would guess you would be risking a joint pain type bend, not a life threatening type dcs. Just my opinion and like I said, not an expert one.

Just curious. How much flying time do you have and what ratings do you have? I ask because most living, highly experienced "pilots in command" that I know would be thinking a lot more about how easily even the best laid plans can turn to crap. And, they would surely be focusing more on what might be the worst case ramifications for a rationalized decision to make the plan work just so you can sit on a better beach. Don't get offended, but it sounds like you have a case of "getthereitis", and that disease has killed a lot of pilots and their hapless passengers.

I have 600 hrs and an instrument rating.

CoopAir, I should add that I am obviously not a pilot, so my previous reply is not a comment on your flight plan.

My point, rather than to speculate, was to try to answer your question about the risk of flying after diving using factual information from the NOAA diving manual.

When I read your original post, my gut reaction was, "Sure. That sounds doable." But when I actually consulted the Manual and the tables, I was surprised at how long the recommended surface interval turned out to be.

Theoretically, most of the nitrogen load -- and the risk of DCS in your scenario -- comes from the amount you accumulate on the deep dive. A little more shallow dive (say, 60 ft) or a longer SI (eg, 60 min) between dives significantly reduces the time required before flying. If you made those adjustments, you could fly sooner and/or at a higher altitude.

Unfortunately, using a computer won't help much to solve your dilemma. Computers may adjust for altitude while diving, but diving at altitude isn't the same thing as going to altitude after diving.

CoopAir,
It's been interesting reading the varied responses on this thread, but I am going to sign off with this recommendation to you as one aviator to another. Go down to your local FAA Flight Standards Office and pose the same question to any of check airmen. I think we both know what they are going to say about your plan because the FAA's Airman's Information Manual is very specific about their recommended time interval between diving and flying. You have worked very hard to earn your license, rating, and gain your flight experience, and I would urge you not to put them at risk. I'm done.

Just get a set of altitude tables and plan it from there. 1500ft is tiny. Most people live at or above that. There's no risk.

But really, a set of altitude tables and 2 mins will address all these questions.

maybee Im thinking all wrong but 1500 feet/500m is the height you easilly get to driving home after diving.

maybee Im thinking all wrong but 1500 feet/500m is the height you easilly get to driving home after diving.

Problem is when you drive to 1500 feet you are doing so as a slow rate. When you're in a plane you hit 1500 pretty quickly. Then you do a stall maneuver drop down to 1000 ish then climb back up and do this over and over you are bouncing up and down quite quickly and this is going to be more cause for concern than a simple flight where you gain altitude, stay there then descend and land. The situation he's talking about isn't a standard flight. It's a hell of a lot more risky.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom